ATX Community

Nice deduction for some!!!!

Dan

In 2008 "The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 excludes CRP payments from self-employment tax for individuals receiving social security benefits...This is effective for payments received after December 31, 2007." See the instructions for line 1b on Schedule SE (form 1040).

This new rule saves a person a lot of money. (If you click on the bunny, line 12 of the worksheet gives you the place to enter the CRP payment received)

Have you seen this great benefit?

In 2008 "The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 excludes CRP payments from self-employment tax for individuals receiving social security benefits

Ok.. I guess I am new at this. What is a CRP payment and how much trouble would it have been for you to have spelled it out for us dummies.

In 2008 "The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 excludes CRP payments from self-employment tax for individuals receiving social security benefits...This is effective for payments received after December 31, 2007." See the instructions for line 1b on Schedule SE (form 1040).

This new rule saves a person a lot of money. (If you click on the bunny, line 12 of the worksheet gives you the place to enter the CRP payment received)

Have you seen this great benefit?

are ALL CRP payments subject to SE?

Conservation Reserve Program payments, Jack. You must not have many farmer clients, huh?

I have several farmers but not ones that are receiving Conservation Reserve Program payments.

I don't understand why someone that is wanting other peoples opinions would ask a question that contains slang or abbreviation such as "NNS1231LPY" that would not be easily recognized by everyone.

<snip>

I don't understand why someone that is wanting other peoples opinions would ask a question that contains slang or abbreviation such as "NNS1231LPY" that would not be easily recognized by everyone.

Perhaps because if you don't understand the abbreviation, you don't have enough experience with the subject to express an opinion? I certainly didn't know what CRP payments were. But here in eastern Massachusetts the few farms that exist are far between, and not my bailiwick. I have never seen a farm return in "real life"; just some examples when I was studying for my EA lo these many years ago. I remember being startled (not surprised; on consideration it made perfect sense) by the disparate treatment of beef and dairy cows. I still use that as an example for people to distinguish between expense and depreciable asset. They all get it; it always makes them chuckle, too. Although I've never tried that example with a vegan; I suspect their reactions may be a bit different... ^_^

Catherine

I have several farmers but not ones that are receiving Conservation Reserve Program payments.

Well Jack, one could take the opposite view.

Someone wanting other people's opinions might only be interested in the opinions of those who understand the slang or abbreviation. :)

Well Jack, one could take the opposite view.

Someone wanting other people's opinions might only be interested in the opinions of those who understand the slang or abbreviation. :)

Very true John. I expect you were one of the few that understood the abbreviation that I used in my example.

That is just the point, Until this new position, they were all subject to SE tax. Lots of retired farmers who are still getting them felt that was unfair, and now the Congress has agreed with them.

But didn't the post say "excludes CRP payments from self-employment tax for individuals receiving social security benefits". What about farmers that are not receiving SS. edit: Excuse me I mean "Social Security".

Jack:

Exactly why I wouldn't have been interested in answering the question in the first place, and why no one should have been interested in my answer, had I tried to provide one.

But of course that doesn't preclude both of us from learning from answers provided by others who understood.

I'll take a stab at NNS1231LPY

nonrecaptured net section 1231 losses prior year

And we have a WINNER!!!! Of course Maura knew that and knows what it is all about.

And its a dollar amount for line 8 on page 1 of form 4797. A form we all fill out for many clients (and a line we frequently overlook).