ATX Community

1098-T Dumb Question

joans

Client dropped of 1098-T. Box 2 $4700.04 and Box 5 $1728.74. Here is the dumb question: Since no amount in Box 1, there is no Tuition & fees Deduction - Correct? See told you dumb question. My brain just went tilt and I can't get it back to where it belongs.

Sara

Client dropped of 1098-T. Box 2 $4700.04 and Box 5 $1728.74. Here is the dumb question: Since no amount in Box 1, there is no Tuition & fees Deduction - Correct? See told you dumb question. My brain just went tilt and I can't get it back to where it belongs.

Sara

Not a dumb question. It's a dumb form. Or maybe the requirements for completing it are dumb. Anyway, you really can't tell much looking at your typical 1098-T. Just ask the client the amount of the qualified expenses they paid. Ask specifically if there was any tax-free assistance, cause it's not always on the form. I have seen kids actually MAKE money on scholarships. Had an ex-military guy that had all the expenses paid by the government, and there was nothing on the 1098-T to indicate that.

My assistant just told me that BOTH the colleges her daughters attend had extensions until 20 March to mail the forms. At one college, the forms have been ready but the outside firm hired to process them is not going to mail them until the very last minute!

Actually for credit purposes, I find that Fees & tuition deduction offers the best refund. I go on the 1040 Ed Exp and check each box (Fee & Tuition, Hope or Lifetime) and most of the time it is F&T that gives the best refund.

Sara

Sara, be sure that you have the 8817 and the 8863 forms open in the return when you check those boxes. Otherwise it will not calculate properly. Also, check to see if any of your Midwest students were in flood zones in 2008 as they qualify for the extra credit. Many of mine were and I have had to print out FEMA maps for about 5 Midwest states now to find out if the schools qualify.

Actually for credit purposes, I find that Fees & tuition deduction offers the best refund. I go on the 1040 Ed Exp and check each box (Fee & Tuition, Hope or Lifetime) and most of the time it is F&T that gives the best refund.

Sara

That never happens with my clients. Maybe once in the past six years. They had alot of expenses and were in the 25% or 28% bracket, I believe.