ATX Community

Federal extension reject for name control - now what?

Catherine

Federal extension was rejected for "Spouse SSN and the Name Control for the tax document must match the corresponding data in the IRS Master File."

Now what? I have triple and quadruple-checked the name/SSN I have with the prior-year return. Wife did NOT change her name when she married and she got her ITIN years ago when here as a grad student.

(Foreign couple; he's here on a visa, she and the kids are here as dependents, came here ~Sept 07; paper filing was accepted last year with no trouble but prior preparer never applied for ITIN's for the kids which is why the extension request this year.)

Admittedly, they're getting a refund, but is there something more I should so here?

Thanks!

Catherine

Heard back from these folks -- a new twist!

Her name was correct. But the ITIN I had was her _Canadian_ tax ID number! Now I have the US number, and the extension has been re-submitted. Interesting that last year's paper-filed return went through with that same Canadian number with no hitch. They also have a coupon to mail, so if this submission gets rejected there is a backup in place that just requires an email from me, saying "Mail it!"

Thank you all for all your suggestions; they've gone on my "list of stuff to check for" for future errors.

Catherine