ATX Community

Backup Space for $9.99 a Month

MAMalody - you were correct. They do have an unlimited package for only $4.95 a month, but there are limits to what you can do. It is an unlimited package for one user/one computer. If you have multiple users spread over different PC's, you will accrue fees per user/computer. The $4.95 is good for a certain individual, but when you get into a business platform, there is a different package and a different price. Another thing that hits home is the type of support you would receive when signing with them. You don't have the security of a small business/family oriented mindset such as we have here at VMSUS. You lose that comfort when using larger companies.

Something else I was thinking about MozyPro, is that when you back up your files, it is a new backup each time. It just keeps writing over the original files every time you choose to back up and it also has to be initiated by you. It will not just start automatically. Our software will allow you to set scheduled back up times and when it does back up, they would be incremental back ups. Meaning, that only what has changed since the last back up, will be changed. This will save space and time in the long run.

These are just a few things that stuck out in my mind when thinking about this. I guess it all comes down to whatever you prefer. If you guys have any other questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

• 1 month later...

I've been debating about signing up with a program like yours or sticking to my thumb drive backups. I like that yours are automated and take care of everything. However, I may soon be giving up my cable modem for my Sprint card. Since they limit me to only 5 gig per month, I was afraid your regular backups would kick me over. But if they are incremental, then I might still be OK.

What do you include in your backups? I'll assume our tax files. What about e-mail, browser bookmarks and other data that is harder to find to backup? (I can find the invisible e-mail files to back-up, but I don't usually take the time to do it.) What else?

Is 10 gig usually sufficient for all important files?

Thanks

I've been debating about signing up with a program like yours or sticking to my thumb drive backups. I like that yours are automated and take care of everything. However, I may soon be giving up my cable modem for my Sprint card. Since they limit me to only 5 gig per month, I was afraid your regular backups would kick me over. But if they are incremental, then I might still be OK.

What do you include in your backups? I'll assume our tax files. What about e-mail, browser bookmarks and other data that is harder to find to backup? (I can find the invisible e-mail files to back-up, but I don't usually take the time to do it.) What else?

Is 10 gig usually sufficient for all important files?

Thanks

Kea - We include whatever you want in our backups. Everything that you mentioned is definitely something that we would recommend backing up, plus any other data that would be instrumental to your business.

Any more than 10GB, is usually needed when you are backing up whole program executable, etc. We have found that 10GB is usually more than enough to what most needs are. You would start off with one full backup and then the next 5 would be incremental. So every 6th backup, would be a full backup.

If you should need anything else, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your interest!

It sounds interesting, but I'm still afraid I'd go over the 5 Gig allotment per month I have with Sprint. And that wouldn't even include all the other web use I have for the month. I was hoping they had an unlimited option but, sadly, no.

Hmm.. Yes, that does cause a predicament with Sprint. The only thing that we could do to alleviate that concern would be running a diagnostic of everything that you wanted backed up. That would give us the measurement of space and give us an idea of how much backup would be done through out the month. We could at least give you an idea. It's up to you. If this is something you would like to schedule, let me know.

I still don't have a feel for what my baseline (no internet backups) Sprint use will be when I pull the cable plug. I only used it a few days last month and still managed 1.5 gig. I do also use the Sprint wi-fi server for a wireless print server. That's not going through the internet (or is it?). So that may be adding to my usage. If so, I'll probably go back to a wired print server. And it's not even the busy season. I may need other options.

• 11 months later...

I still don't have a feel for what my baseline (no internet backups) Sprint use will be when I pull the cable plug. I only used it a few days last month and still managed 1.5 gig. I do also use the Sprint wi-fi server for a wireless print server. That's not going through the internet (or is it?). So that may be adding to my usage. If so, I'll probably go back to a wired print server. And it's not even the busy season. I may need other options.

This is a non-profit answer. Backup space can be as little as $27 a month for 100g, with a complete Citrix terminal server account. Citrix is 3 - 4 times as fast as Windows Terminal Server, with 73% less bandwidth. That is why Microsoft now rents CTS time. You can run ATX, Office, and all your other apps on it, with any computer (Windows, Linux, MAC), from any location. Never worry about backups, virus, malware, disk optimizing, hurricanes, floods, installs and much more. Add one or many new fully-configured users overnight.

• 6 months later...

Kyle isn't there anymore, so I don't think they have anyone who monitors this board now. But, you can still call the toll-free telephone number in his "signature" to reach their sales department. Sales is probably open on a normal business schedule even though support is supposed to answer 24/7 within 90 minutes. They configured my back-ups to run at 3 a.m. to them and to my external hard drive and anything else I wanted them to do re back-ups.

Kyle isn't there anymore, so I don't think they have anyone who monitors this board now. But, you can still call the toll-free telephone number in his "signature" to reach their sales department. Sales is probably open on a normal business schedule even though support is supposed to answer 24/7 within 90 minutes. They configured my back-ups to run at 3 a.m. to them and to my external hard drive and anything else I wanted them to do re back-ups.

I don't get my backups through VMSUS but I do have their tech support contract -- and they have been fabulous with that. In fact, i just renewed it.