ATX Community

For those of you considering Windows 7 w/ XP mode

tilt

I just bought a new computer in May and made the switch to Vista (I hate it!) so I was seriously considering the upgrade to 7 because of being able to switch to XP mode for my tax program.

Wrong! This link will take you to an article about compatibilty issue and from there you can also (if you choose) see if your computer will run in virtualization mode. Sheesh, my computer is only 5 months old and won't do it. Thanks Microsoft.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16443...?tk=r el_news

michaelmars,

I have been using Vista ever since it became available and have ATX programs back to the 1998 year loaded on my computer and all of them work extremely well with no problems caused at all by Vista.

Wayne Brasch

THANK YOU WAYNE a while back atx told me only the current 2 years would run on vista, glad to know i can install prior years.

got my new puter a few months ago but so busy with 9/15 and 10/15 that i haven't even loaded it yet.

If ATX runs in Vista, it should run in Windows 7.

XP Mode in 7 sounds like an ugly solution for running old software that wont run any other way. If your computer wont run Windows 7's virtualization, you could try out VirtualBox, which is a free (and pretty high quality) VM solution.

I've used it in Linux to run Windows, and I know their Windows version runs on Windows 7.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

michaelmars,

I have been using Vista ever since it became available and have ATX programs back to the 1998 year loaded on my computer and all of them work extremely well with no problems caused at all by Vista.

Wayne Brasch

My hard drive just quit and I am presently running on XP. I am considering a new computer running Vista with a free upgrade to 7. My question to you is what version of Vista are you using? Home, Professional, \Bussiness, etc.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

One thing you need to be careful about is what the version compatability is. If you have Vista basic, you can only upgrade to 7 basic and can't make the leap directly to Professional.

What are the "equivalent" Windows 7 products for Windows Vista?

Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional

Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...

ATX told me that only 2008 and 2009 would run on windows 7. My IT guy said that anything that ran with Vista SHOULD work with W7. I am waiting because changing from Current XP Pro requires clean install and i would have to reload ALL my programs including 10 or 11 years of ATX and multiple other programs that I use on a daily basis. laplink says that they cannot support me yet. I really would like to change but am afeared. Running network with dedicated server and 3 workstations.

Just my comments, no advice.