ATX Community

NT Photo editing software

Margaret CPA in OH

I recently returned from 2 full weeks of scuba diving in the Banda Sea in Indonesia. I have nearly 2000 pictures some of which are actually great! I need some editing software, though, to add back some red, crop, burn to cd's, upload to my diver website, etc. I am clearly a novice at photo editing (my Fiji and Palau photos are still just sitting there...) so need something that I can understand.

I looked at the Picasa free stuff but it seems too restrictive as to usage (uploading to MY website, not Picasa's). Several folks have mentioned Photoshop but without specifics.

Any and all suggestions most welcome!

Thanks, Diane. I looked online at the Top Ten Reviews and saw that Serif was #3. Photoshop has a deal now for the same price, though, $79.99. I'll keep reading and looking and learning. It's great to get feedback from people actually using the products. Thanks again!

My daughter swears by Photoshop Elements for adjusting photos -- frequently this comes free with your computer, too. And it has tutorials that are actually useful.

Catherine

Sams Club has Photoshop element for around $79, before you buy make sure you meet these requirements:

Windows

1.8GHz or faster processor

Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)

512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)

1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)

1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card

Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0

DVD-ROM drive

QuickTime 7.2 software required for multimedia features

Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

>>something that I can understand<<

I use Corel Paintshop Pro. It is compatible with Photoshop plugins, in case you get into editing big time. Meanwhile, I don't know what you mean by "restrictive." If all you want to do is crop and adjust color and upload, ANY of the free or under-$100 versions should be a snap to use. You can also resize, combine photos, and tons of other stuff. By the time you've run through your 2000 pics, you'll have discovered all the tricks and will be an expert! Usually the expensive programs are only needed for very high productivity (as in two million photos, not 2000), color balancing for different print technologies (as in old-fashioned big budget print, not color copy), or special effects like archive photo restoration.

Wow! Thanks to all of you! I knew there was a wealth of non-tax knowledge out there-this proves it!

Mike, it was a live aboard. That's about the only way I dive now (other than teaching) these days. It is so worth it! Here is the link <http://www.archipelago-fleet.com/pages-adventurer-2/a2-main-01.html> Others I've done were in Galapagos Agressor, Palau (http://www.fishnfins.com/n/Welcome.html), and Fiji and land based in the Caribbean.

MAS, thanks for the requirements list. I will dutifully check on each of those. This is for my laptop/dive business computer. I think it meets all that, but will check.

Jainen, by restrictive I meant that Picasa seemed to restrict one to uploading only to the Picasa websites. In the Terms and Conditions, it also seemed to lay out some other restrictions but my eyes began to glaze over. On the Top Ten Review, Corel came in second and was way cheaper, too, but seemed a bit less flexible.

Decisions, decisions... When I finish this project, I will put a link to my dive website if anyone wants to see.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. It ain't just about taxes...life, that is!

Hmmm, I'll have to learn how to do that, too! I guess there are several folks here that can help, though, with so many pictures already posted. Hopefully, it isn't too hard.

I'm hoping by mid-November or Thanksgiving at the latest to have it at least mostly completed. We all know what is lurking in the shadows around the holidays so I know I won't have time come December.

It's extremely easy, Margaret. Just click on the Reply button, then right below the space to type your message, there is a section for Attachments. Click the button for Chose File, browse to your picture, and the software will attach it. That's how, for example, I attached this picture of Petunia Pig.

It's extremely easy, Margaret. Just click on the Reply button, then right below the space to type your message, there is a section for Attachments. Click the button for Chose File, browse to your picture, and the software will attach it. That's how, for example, I attached this picture of Petunia Pig.

I love this picture SO mcuh and I smile -every- time I look at it!

I love this picture SO mcuh and I smile -every- time I look at it!

How about this one, have you seen it? 10 ft shark bitten by an estimated 20 ft shark!!!!!

Great White nearly bit in half by an even BIGGER monster: Swimmers stay out of the water after warning over giant 20ft shark

By RICHARD SHEARS

Last updated at 1:59 PM on 27th October 2009

A 'monster' great white shark measuring up to 20 ft long is on the prowl off a popular Queensland beach, according to officials.

Swimmers were warned to stay out of the water off Stradbroke Island after the shark mauled another smaller great white which had been hooked on a baited drum line. The 10-foot great white was almost bitten in half.

The fictional shark at the centre of the Steven Spielberg blockbuster Jaws was estimated to be just five feet longer.

We're going to need a bigger boat: The remains of a 10ft great white shark that was bitten nearly in half by what authorities - judging from the size of the bite marks - estimated was a 20ft monster

'It certainly opened up my eyes. I mean the shark that was caught is a substantial shark in itself,' says Jeff Krause of Queensland Fisheries.

The great white, the most dangerous creature in the sea, was still alive when hauled onto a boat near Deadman's Beach off north Stradbroke island.

News of the shocking attack on the smaller shark has sent jitters along the Queensland coast from Stradbroke Island, near Brisbane, to the Sunshine Coast further north down to the tourist mecca of Surfers Paradise, south of Brisbane.

'Whatever attacked and took chunks out of this big shark must be massive,' said 19-year-old surfer Ashton Smith. 'I've heard about the big one that's lurking out there somewhere. 'We're all being very, very cautious.'

Mr John Gooding, who operates a charter fishing boat, said sharks were everywhere, although there appeared to be no specific reason for an increase in the number. 'Some days you struggle to get a fish on to the boat before the sharks take them,' he told the Courier Mail newspaper.