ATX Community

Change Icon

Terry O

I know this has come up before, but I cannot figure out how to change the icon using Vista 64 for last year's tax program.

In the past, I have erroneously opened up the prior year's program by mistake.

Here is what I do: I delete the last year's icon from my desk top by doing a right click on the icon and then clicking the word delete. Why do I need that icon on the desktop when I can get into the program another way? Also if later I want to get that icon on the desktop, I can create it again. Just my thoughts!

I know this has come up before, but I cannot figure out how to change the icon using Vista 64 for last year's tax program.

In the past, I have erroneously opened up the prior year's program by mistake.

Right click - Properties - On the shortcut tab there is a button towards the bottom center called "Change Icon"

You need two steps: to send the ICON to the desktop and change it.

Right click on the icon that opens the program and send it to desktop. Then you need to right click on the icon from the desktop and select properties, change icon, click browse and see what icon you would like.

Gail:

I like your idea!.

I keep several years stacked in a single vertical line with the same icon but with different names.

It's still possible to click the wrong one when in a rush.

Nesting the prior years into a separate folder makes much better sense - it requires an extra step to open a prior year.

Ah, yes, I like to think we think alike. I, too, have a folder with PY ATX and my multiple QB versions. Because I now use dual monitors and am working towards less paper, I have the icons for the current and immediate past year both. I have current year open on main monitor and prior year on second monitor for reference instead of a paper copy. And I have the original client documents on my desk or in a scanned file if they have only sent attached or faxed copies.