ATX Community

WSJ Article re tax gestapo

cred65

>>open this word doc<<

Anything in particular you wanted us to discuss?

Since there has been a fair amount of venting going on I thought it was interesting that they are not alone. If you have a subscription to the WSJ you can read the comments to this article(206). Now there's some real venting.

>>a fair amount of venting going on<<

That's a relief. I was hoping you didn't want us to comment on the factual content of the article, because I was having trouble finding any.

I would never put you through the agony of having to listen to the Capitalistic Pigs that read the WSJ.

Big Brother knows best!!

I'm going to go get a bottle of vodka. Happy Friday all.

It seems that someone has missed the fact that this whole process of regulating the tax prep industry did not start with the Obama Administration.

Diane

Regulating all aspects of our lives "for our own good" started with Prohibition. They've just been getting sneakier and less above-board in their methodology since Prohibition had to be repealed.

>>the Capitalistic Pigs that read the WSJ<<

I'm not talking about the political viewpoint. Everyone (more or less) is entitled to their own opinions in America. But it's not too much to ask that whatever you want to rant about actually be similar to what you don't like.

For example, the author calls California registration the "IRS blueprint." Well, in California registration is NOT enforced by the government at all, but by the tax industry itself through a non-profit corporation called California Tax Education Council. The government does not even appoint CTEC members. Even a capitalistic pig should be able to understand the value of capitalistic pigs running the show. Why, he even quotes one saying that very thing!

>>the Capitalistic Pigs that read the WSJ<<

I'm not talking about the political viewpoint. Everyone (more or less) is entitled to their own opinions in America. But it's not too much to ask that whatever you want to rant about actually be similar to what you don't like.

For example, the author calls California registration the "IRS blueprint." Well, in California registration is NOT enforced by the government at all, but by the tax industry itself through a non-profit corporation called California Tax Education Council. The government does not even appoint CTEC members. Even a capitalistic pig should be able to understand the value of capitalistic pigs running the show. Why, he even quotes one saying that very thing!

Settle down man! This is not "polictical" or a "rant"! This was intended to be an informative reply to current events in the media that the members of the ATX board might have an interest.

Also, in this regard, I felt compassion for some of our members that have practiced for many years but may/will be forced to comply to these regulations and/or that some may have to sell their practice for less than FMV, or liquidate. Since I am a CPA, I am excluded from these requirements, but most of these "soon to registered practioners" know a hell of a more lot than I do about personal taxes. I would hate to lose their knowledge and input! Hang in Gang!!

Since we both will benefit from this we have something in common, but chill out man, you don't have to be so shrill or contesting about some of the off-the-wall statements I have said in #6 above. So if you refer to me as a "capitalistic pig" may I refer to you as a "commie"?

I'm here in Cinti waiting for an NFL playoff game Bengal's vs Jets. So as you sit on your beach in CA have beautiful day.

Peace

cred65

>>you refer to me as a "capitalistic pig"<<

Not you, buddy. I meant exactly the same thing you did when you introduced that "shrill" term. All my comments are in reference to the article, not your post. You still haven't told us if there is anything in the article that you think would be worth discussing.

Did you finish off that vodka yet?

I like to be aware of the items might clients might have read and be asking me about, so I do appreciate when posters link to the media. It helps me be prepared for that question someone will be sure to ask me tomorrow at church or that phone call asking me what I know about that topic.

This capitalist pig is all in favor of preparer registration. I am exempt as an EA, but my wife who works for me is not. She is CTEC licensed. I have no issue with the taxing authorities ensuring that the practitioners who assist the public for a fee are competent to do so. I cheer every time the IRS busts a refund mill that is cheating the government and assisting taxpayers to do the same.

On the other hand, I am not in favor of some of the CA tactics to get preparers to audit their clients tax returns. This is very troubling to me. The IRS is sometimes pushing in that direction also. I will quit preparing taxes before I will audit my clients and rat them out to the IRS or CA. My job is to find every loophole, deduction, exclusion and credit to minimize the tax burden of my client. If the IRS wants me to advocate for them, they should pay me to do so. I will not be drafted into their service by virtue of my occupation.

Stepping off my soap box now.

Tom

Lodi, CA

"I am not in favor of some of the CA tactics to get preparers to audit their clients tax returns."

Every year, the FTB, from the BOE (Board of Equalization) pushes tax preparers to get their clients to report the "use tax" they do not pay for out of state or Internet purchases. I WILL not do this. If my client wants to pay this, they have the opportunity in the interview. After they stop laughing, I give them a BOE brochure that explains their responsibilities, which they take with them!!!!!

"Stepping off my soap box now." Off mine now, too.