ATX Community

TODAY'S ATX BLOG HAS GOOD INFO

kcjenkins

IRS acks, service center, and general 1040 efile info

1/18/2010

Below are the top 5 IRS rejects we received in our first batch of acknowledgements:

Reject Code 679 (10,509) -- Prior year AGI or prior year PIN does not match what is on file with the IRS. Tip: Use the Practitioner PIN option. Select the box directly beneath the entry where you enter your ERO PIN. The practitioner PIN does not require the use of the taxpayer shared secret entries.

Reject Code 504 (10,150) -- Dependent or Qualifying Child SSN and corresponding name control (first 4 letters of last name) does not match what is on file with the IRS. Tip: Review the Social Security Card. If what you have matches the Social Security Card, the taxpayer may want to contact the Social Security Association to see what they have on file

Reject Code 501 (8,146) -- Qualifying SSN on Schedule EIC and the corresponding Child Name control must match what is on the IRS Master File. Tip: Review the Social Security Card. If what you have matches the Social Security Card, the taxpayer may want to contact the Social Security Association to see what they have on file

Reject Code 541 (7,368) -- When the filing status equals Single, HH or QW the age of the qualifing taxpayer must be older than the age of each qualifying child on EIC - or - When the filing status equals MFJ the age of the primary or secondary taxpayer must be older than the age of each qualifying child on EIC.

Reject Code 1132 (7368) -- Schedule M. Economic Recovery received does not match IRS Master Records. Tip: An economic Recovery Payment may have been received if social security benefits, supplement security income, railroad retirement benefits, or veterans disability compensation or pension benefits were received. The taxpayer may not realize they received the $250 economic recovery payment as it was paid with their benefits.

How can you tell we got your efile? You have access to the Return Status tool on the support site. Key in the SSN and you'll track the efile thru our system. If you call Customer Service, choose prompt #1 to use our automated Return Status system.

Starting Monday, January 18, 2010: Normal drain cycle begins 11 AM, 6 PM and 2 AM Service Center Time

Please be aware of 4 possible EFC Rejects:

EFC Reject 38 -- Program or Form(s) Update needed. You will receive this if you have not updated to the latest version of the Federal Module, Bank, or State. We are checking the latest form version.

EFC 15-- The fees on the bank application do not match the fees submitted on the ERO bank application. Check your fees shown on your support site against the fees you entered in the return; they must match.

EFC 12- The return has been previously submitted to the EFC. You can use the Return Status tool on the support site to view the current status of that efile which you already submitted. alternatively, the taxpayer may have already efiled that rerturn with another CCH SFS customer, which would result in a Rej 12.

I agree KC.

Their blog is pretty informative and they also update the info on the community as well. One thing I do miss however is the chart they used in the past showing us how many acks they were still waiting for, as this kind of gave me an idea as to whether there were any issues or not.

But I really do like the blog!

Deb!

Reject Code 541 (7,368) -- When the filing status equals Single, HH or QW the age of the qualifing taxpayer must be older than the age of each qualifying child on EIC - or - When the filing status equals MFJ the age of the primary or secondary taxpayer must be older than the age of each qualifying child on EIC.

Only one that really surprised me. I'll bet that a lot of these are due to an incorrect SSN for the dependent. (So they're probably combined with 501/504's).

snapback.pngkcjenkins, on 18 January 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

And I am my own grandpaw....

I actually know a family (no one young enough to claim as dependents!) where wife is more than 40 years younger than husband and younger than all but -one- of husband's children. And that man's eldest daughter is married to a man almost 40 years younger than she is. Very weird family. NOT clients, thankfully.

Sounds like an unusual bunch, all right. Of course, this rule is to stop the sort of EIC farming where the younger child that is working claims the older child who is not, in school, perhaps, so that he can get the EIC.

They take the cake. Several cakes, in fact. But no one would be eligible for EIC in that bunch.

Thanks for pointing out a possible circumstance, though, as it's not one I would have thought up.