ATX Community

IS IT ME OR IS IT THE SOFTWARE

AnnieR

This afternoon, after I downloaded the latest edition for 1040, I started having problems with the dependent worksheet. The boxes for "check if qualifying for child tax credit" is NOT AUTOMATICALLY BEING "X'ED", and even though I checked for children living with you, it IS AUTOMATICALLY BEING MARKED as "other dependents". It will really screw up a return, no child tax credit and no EIC. Don't know if it's me or the software, just want everyone to be aware.

AnnieR

Have you sent tech support an email about this? Please do if you have not already done it.

I checked on my test return, and it did mark the right boxes on mine for lived with you, but did not mark as qualifying person for EIC, but did for CTC. Double check the date of birth, a typo there can cause problems?

I had the same problem today but after opening and closing the EIC sheet it worked. I knew everything was entered correctly and I could see how old the child was (no typo on DOB as suggested by KC), but no EIC. Finally it appeared by itself. Maybe it worked after I entered the mother's DOB, I don't remember exactly.

Make sure you have included the birthdate for the filer and spouse. I had one that I didn't have the birthdate for and it showed that the dependent didn't lived with them, very strange things this year.

Deb!

Problem solved. Since the dependent has to younger that TP or disabled, YOU NEED the date of birth of the taxpayer. This is new this year. Since you didn't check that the child was permanent disabled, the program didn't give you EIC because it needed the date to calculate if the child was younger.