ATX Community

Multiple Jobs

ILLMAS

Well, some clients just find that the only way they can force themselves to save is by using the over-withholding of taxes to get a large refund. I agree totally that it is not a smart way to save, but OTOH, it is the client's right to make that choice. If that is the way they want to do it, I see it as my job to tell them the correct way to do it. If the company they work for has a savings plan deduction option, I will recommend that. But if they want a large refund, that's their call, not mine.

I do think it's important to put things in perspective. While I agree philosphically that it isn't a good idea to let the government hold one's money, it's a pretty good alternative for someone who doesn't have the discipline to save. The forced savings represented by the tax refund at least gives them a chance to accumulate a few dollars, even if they blow it at year end.

Assuming a $5,000 refund, and acknowledging that a money market account currently pays about 3/4 of 1%, that means that a $5,000 tax refund costs the individual $18.75 in foregone interest. (I assumed that the $5,000 went into the account in equal installments throughout the year. Paying $18.75 to put that $5,000 aside is virtually irrelevant, especially since they sometimes pay $180 or so to get their hand on the money via a RAL).

On another note, I am finding that several clients with multiple jobs and in view of the new withholding tables; are having little or nothing withheld. This is particularly true in the case of students who are someone elses dependent and therefore do not qualify for the making works pay credit. It is a totally mixed bag this year.

Currently the IRS is paying 4% on monies not paid out. If that same $5,000 refund were left at the IRS (not file for a whole year) there would be an additional $200. When the best 1 year CD rate is currently 1.75% it would mean the taxpayer would gain $112.50 by allowing the IRS to hold their money.

Been a while since 1 year 4% money was available.

I let the client decide.