ATX Community

Basis adjustment?

Catherine

Hi folks -- plodding through taxes all day despite an absolutely splitting headache.

This client got a couple hundred $$ from a securities litigation settlement. Stocks held are in a regular account, not an IRA of any kind. Still owns all shares; hasn't sold a one since the original purchase several years ago.

So far as I can think at the moment (which isn't far, let me tell you), this isn't ordinary income but rather a basis adjustment and should be on Sch D rather than Line 21, yes? But -which way- does the adjustment go? Basis addition, because it's getting taxed in 2009? Yes?

I tried putting a cold cloth on my head but it just steamed all the cold away in about two seconds.... thank you all.

sad.gif

Hi Cath......you have my sympathy. I had that last week. This week is a croupy cough. Anyhow, I just finished a return for a new client. Last year, the preparer put on Line 21 Enron Litigation Settlement. This year she had some from Enron and some from AOL Time Warner. I put them both on Line 21 with the wording typed on the Line 21 Worksheet. (Enron Litigation Settlement; AOL Time Warner Litigation Settlement.) Hope this helps you. I never saw this before, but last year she went to a CPA, so I would think they would know how to do it.

Hi Cath......you have my sympathy. I had that last week. This week is a croupy cough. Anyhow, I just finished a return for a new client. Last year, the preparer put on Line 21 Enron Litigation Settlement. This year she had some from Enron and some from AOL Time Warner. I put them both on Line 21 with the wording typed on the Line 21 Worksheet. (Enron Litigation Settlement; AOL Time Warner Litigation Settlement.) Hope this helps you. I never saw this before, but last year she went to a CPA, so I would think they would know how to do it.

Thank you; that makes sense.

Catherine

I don't know how to post a link, but hopefully this will help. I know that it is specific to the AIM Fair Funds, but it does reference other, similar settlements. I have been adjusting basis on after-tax money and putting checks issued for IRAs/qualified plans on line 21. Hopefully this is accurate.

http://www.aimfairfund.com/files/AIM%20SEI.doc

It's late (and my son just called to say he's engaged to his longtime girlfriend, so I'm distracted too!) but I think if you still own the stock, you decrease your basis by the amount received, you got a refund of part of your purchase price. If you already sold the stock, I think it's capital gain on Schedule D, with LT or ST maybe based on original holding period; it's additional sales price with no basis, because you used that when you sold the shares. I need to learn this too. Just received an email from a client who dropped off his stuff some time ago: Oh yeah, and I got a check of around $900 from an Enron settlement. Do I have to do anything with it? Now, he remembers it! I don't remember him owning Enron or selling it when it was worth anything and don't remember us taking a loss on it as a worthless stock. However, I used to work for Block, so that might've happened on an old return when he was a Block client. Thanks for all the posts.

It's late (and my son just called to say he's engaged to his longtime girlfriend, so I'm distracted too!) but I think if you still own the stock, you decrease your basis by the amount received, you got a refund of part of your purchase price. If you already sold the stock, I think it's capital gain on Schedule D, with LT or ST maybe based on original holding period; it's additional sales price with no basis, because you used that when you sold the shares. I need to learn this too. Just received an email from a client who dropped off his stuff some time ago: Oh yeah, and I got a check of around $900 from an Enron settlement. Do I have to do anything with it? Now, he remembers it! I don't remember him owning Enron or selling it when it was worth anything and don't remember us taking a loss on it as a worthless stock. However, I used to work for Block, so that might've happened on an old return when he was a Block client. Thanks for all the posts.

CONGRATULATIONS on your son's engagement!!

Thank you for the response. Funny how things make more sense when your head stops pounding.

Eventually I switched to printing stuff until I gave up for the night, but I was worrying that issue like a terrier with a fresh bone and couldn't make sense of it. I could see the pieces, but it was just a jumble. I hate migraines; they really scramble your brain.

Catherine