ATX Community

HOH status

imjulier

Divorced parents. Mom can't claim child as dependent this year due to divorce decree. Child lived with Mom greater than 1/2 the year. Mom can't claim HOH without claiming child as dependent, can she? Does this mean that she'll be HOH every other year (in the years she can claim child) and Single in the year's she can't? This is how I'm reading the Kleinrock Express Answers guidance or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Julie

>>I'm reading the Kleinrock Express Answers<<

I would guess you are reading the rules for qualifying relative. If the qualifying CHILD rules apply, read the part about children of separated/divorced parents. Note that, regardless of what the divorce decree orders, you must only follow tax law in determining filing status and dependency exemptions.

What about claiming parent as dependent. Parent is living with client. Parent is still married. Parent's spouse filed as married filing separately. Client can claim parent as dependent but can client claim HOH too. Client provides over half support (spouse none) except for parent's soc sec.