ATX Community

Printing Organizers in ATX

Richcpaman

I was creating the organiziers for 2007, (in the 2006 program) and the "General" page is printing first. Not after the mailing slip, Client letter and Engagement Letter.

Anyone else experience that?

Do you have a fix? I tried moving it like in Excel, but that didn't work.

I can print them, but resorting the pages in 200 organizers, well, that's just stupid.

Rich

I'm just starting to work on my organizers, so I can't yet answer your question. I have one to add to yours though. On the Sch C Vehicle Information page, I added a statement and signature line on the bottom of the page (on lines 47, 48, and 49. It shows up on the screen, but not when I print the page. How can I get it to print?

Yes, the client does have Sch C with vehicle expenses. The vehicle information page prints, I just can't figure out how to get the lines I added to print. I imagine it's something to do with changing the print range, but I can't figure out how to do it. I ran into the same problem in past years when I tried to number the pages. It sure makes it a lot easier to discuss the organizer over the phone with clients who have questions if you can refer to a page number.

I'm just starting to work on my organizers, so I can't yet answer your question. I have one to add to yours though. On the Sch C Vehicle Information page, I added a statement and signature line on the bottom of the page (on lines 47, 48, and 49. It shows up on the screen, but not when I print the page. How can I get it to print?

In order to expand the print range, you have to know the name of the range, which may not be so easy to find. The easy way to get things to print at the bottom of a page is to insert your lines before the bottom line of the already defined page, which then automatically expands the range name previously defined by ATX. Ie, the last line of the sch C vehicle info page is line 44. If you insert lines at line 45 or below, you will be outside of the print range and your information will not print. If you insert lines at row 44, everything you insert will print.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

The only solution I have found so far is as follows:

Open a return with the 07 organizer, click the organizer tab, click print on the tool bar, now in print manager click the plus sign next to organizer(07), click and HOLD the mailing slip entry, drag it to the top just below organizer. Select preview to look at the output prior to printing or select print to print.

Yes this solution requires one to open and print every organizer manually, sorry.

johnmac

Thanks John,

that's a solution I have used also. I was hoping to not have to open each client file and instead process the organizer

from the ATX return manager. That would be a huge time saver.

Martin

We did it just a little differently but still time-consuming. We printed them all to pdf, then opened each pdf and deleted and rearranged the forms. Still a long process. My biggest prayer to the ATX programmers would be the ability to print returns in my order and not in their order.

Maribeth

Yes, the client does have Sch C with vehicle expenses. The vehicle information page prints, I just can't figure out how to get the lines I added to print. I imagine it's something to do with changing the print range, but I can't figure out how to do it. I ran into the same problem in past years when I tried to number the pages. It sure makes it a lot easier to discuss the organizer over the phone with clients who have questions if you can refer to a page number.

To answer your question MontanaEA:

1. Navigate to the page you made the additions to.

2. Click Tools and then click Unprotect.

3. Click Tools, then click Form Tools, and click Define Name.

4. Click the radio button for Local Names.

5. In the left hand box, click "Print_Area".

6. In the lower right, change the Formula from:

'Business Vehicle'!$A$4:$AS$44

to

'Business Vehicle'!$A$4:$AS$50

That will ensure up to row 50 is printed.

If you need to extend the columns out further, you can change that as well.

For example:

'Business Vehicle'!$A$4:$AU$50

Take caution with this however, as changing the print range on larger sections will affect the number of pages needed to print, so it may not be as simple as above. :)

Hope that helps!

We did it just a little differently but still time-consuming. We printed them all to pdf, then opened each pdf and deleted and rearranged the forms. Still a long process. My biggest prayer to the ATX programmers would be the ability to print returns in my order and not in their order.

Maribeth

This is doable, but unfortunately not on a default (or global) setting. I would definitely recommend putting in the suggestion for that via the myatx.com webpage :)

As johnmac said, just drag and drop the items in the Print Manager in the order you'd like to see them printed.

This is doable, but unfortunately not on a default (or global) setting. I would definitely recommend putting in the suggestion for that via the myatx.com webpage :)

As johnmac said, just drag and drop the items in the Print Manager in the order you'd like to see them printed.

But is there a way to do that when the page I wish to move is not in the "group". For instance, I put the tax summary between the tax return forms and the supporting schedules. It makes a nice break between those pages. Is there a way to move forms/schedules/letters from one "group" to another "group"?

Maribeth

But is there a way to do that when the page I wish to move is not in the "group". For instance, I put the tax summary between the tax return forms and the supporting schedules. It makes a nice break between those pages. Is there a way to move forms/schedules/letters from one "group" to another "group"?

Maribeth

Ahh ok. No, there isn't a way to move them from group to group. The group itself has to remain intact. I do agree with you, that Tax Summary is a great page to break things up with.

Printing 2 up doesn't work either (at least not for me). This organizer is a gross waste of toner, paper and postage. How can one whole page each for mortgage interest, property tax and charitable donations as well as other items, possibly be better? I know my clients aren't going to like this any more than I do, but they are used to seeing the prior year amounts they paid on the organizer as a guide for the new year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips above! I never knew about the print screen "drag and drop" tip. That's great!!

Now I am having a completely different problem, I modified the master for the organizer and edited the Client Letter and Engagement Letter...no problem.

.....but when I "print" one for a client (to PDF) the document ends up containing TWO Engagement letters. Any clue what I have done or how to fix?

Thanks!

Liz

Thanks! .....although that is really a dumb feature (to print One for Fed and the Second for State), it at least explains it and I can stop pulling my hair out and move on and send these out, and just tell people to "ignore the second one", which really makes me look technically savvy and professional....grrrr.

Thanks (not!) ATX for giving us an option to get only one that covers "both" State and Federal.

{sigh}.....hope this is not a precurssor of things to come this season with this software!

The firm I work for developed our own organizer many years ago. It does not carry forward information, but is EXACTLY the way we want it. We also make it available on our website for download and printing by the clients. The file requires username and password to access it. Saves us a TON of postage, allows us to make running changes as/if we need to, etc.

The firm I work for developed our own organizer many years ago. It does not carry forward information, but is EXACTLY the way we want it.

I wish I had those kind of "smarts"! My clients are NOT happy with the new Organizers. The only one I know who is happy is the Post Office.