ATX Community

Slooooow program

cpr1955

Try rebooting your computer.

I recently had problems with my computer after re-installing my anti virus software. Finally ended up dumping it and re-installing again, but still had problems. I noticed that every time I went to print something for the first time my default printer changed to a printer I had set up for my laptop. Turns out that because I didn't have the laptop on my computer was searching, searching and more searching for that printer. I deleted that printer from my folder and now everything runs beautifully!

Deb!

I have had the same problem. Sometimes closing and reopening ATX works. Sometimes I have to shut down the entire system and reboot.

That's a standard problem with Microsoft OS computers and lots of programs based heavily on Microsoft-type engines. The programs use resources, but do not "let go" of those resources fully when they're done with them. Eventually, the tags of little interconnected bits that weren't fully released make the whole thing grind to a crawl as the machine slowly drowns in its' own garbage. Rebooting the program at least and the computer too if just the program doesn't help (enough) will fix it.

Catherine

In prior years people have posted similar complaints, especially at about this time of year.

The explanation that made the most sense is that ATX is a database program. The more clients you have rolled over and opened, the slower the program runs plus the more clients you work on without exiting compeletely out of ATX, the slower the program will run. You will also experience the problem if you are running on an older computer because of the slower processor and maybe your hard disk is getting full.

I have not experienced the problem this year. Could be a new laptop with Windows 7 and 4 Gig of RAM and plenty of hard disk space. I run an antivirus program at boot up, but otherwise try to limit the number of other programs that open up when I start the computer. I want most of my computer resources available to do taxes.

Probably time to upgrade your computer. I was forced to before tax season due to a lightning storm........the difference in speed of the ATX program is phenominal with the new computer! Not once this year did I have to sit and wait for the program to respond!

Cathy