ATX Community

E-File Extensions

samingeorgia

In early March, I mailed in some 7004's on paper, then, after receiving the info from the clients, e-filed the returns before April 15 (S Corps). Now, I'm getting penalty notices for late filing! Of course, I'm writing letters and attaching copies of the 7004, but this is a big hassle.

I just efiled two extensions for a couple of tax exempt orgs. IRS has been a real pain on recognizing extensions paper filed for these organizations for last year and in 2004 (!!!!!), so I'm figuring that if I can get these extensions accepted by Monday I can print out the confirmation from the efile center if/when IRS decides to demand money from these folks.

Anybody else having issues with paper filed extensions?

As long as you have certified mail documentation for paper filed extensions, you're OK. Without that documentation, you may have a problem. Thanks to the new penalty situation, I mail all S-corp extensions and any C-corps expected to report a profit via Certified Mail with Return Receipt.

We e-file ALL extensions and have never had an extension not be processed. This year 400+ Last year 350+ Corporate and personal.

Be warned that Massachusetts bounces extensions all the time. First-time residents or folks whose name and/or marital status has changed won't match their pre-existing list and they'll bounce them.

This stupid state is really annoying in many ways.