ATX Community

Printing 1099's and W-2's

Marie

I have been printing out 1099's and W-2's out of my printer as I would a tax return. I efile all 1099's and W-2's. Is this an acceptable way? Most client's will efile their returns and the copy of the W-2 will stay in their records. Am I in violation of any sorts by not printing on a certain type of paper? Also, how many of you buy perforated paper to put your W-2 and 1099's on? Where do you get your envelopes to fit ATX size w-2 and 1099?

You can buy perforated paper just about any where. ATX does sell it as a blank uni-form. You are not violating anything by electronically filing all 1099 and W-2 forms. The IRS prefers this but be sure you are filing the W-2 forms with the SS admnistration. Some folks even print the W-2 and 1099 forms on blank paper and cut them with a paper cutter. Doing this and e-filing is the most economic method.

I have been printing out 1099's and W-2's out of my printer as I would a tax return. I efile all 1099's and W-2's. Is this an acceptable way? Most client's will efile their returns and the copy of the W-2 will stay in their records. Am I in violation of any sorts by not printing on a certain type of paper? Also, how many of you buy perforated paper to put your W-2 and 1099's on? Where do you get your envelopes to fit ATX size w-2 and 1099?

If you are talking about the ATX UniForms, ATX also sells envelopes to match the forms and line up with the addresses of the employer and employee.

That's what I've been doing, printing out on blank copy paper and sending to individuals. I just wanted to make sure that by giving the copy paper W-2's, that I wasn't causing any problems to the individuals who paper file and attach that W-2 to the return. The ATX W-2's printed on plain copy paper do not fit into the NELCO sample envelopes that they sent me. I would have to trim about 1/2" off.

If you're trying to follow the rules for providing W-2s to employees who will paper file, you need to make them easily separated. Use the special performated paper for employee copies, or one-to-a-page so they don't need to be separated, or just slice them apart with your paper cutter before mailing them to employees. Don't forget to include a copy of the "instructions." When I used ATX, i ordered the Uniforms and corresponding envelopes; now I do the same via QB for the employee copies.

I think the main issue with using plain paper is that you do need to be sure to print the instructions that are required, either on the back of their copy or on a separate piece of paper, or , if using uniform the instructions print right on the front. The "easily separated" does not apply with 1099's since they would already be separated, and with W-2's, if you cut them apart it isn't an issue either.