ATX Community

Not Tax - Payroll Check Printing

BulldogTom

Taking a shot in the dark here to see if any of you have an idea.

At my day job, we use Timberline Accounting Software. We have been with ADP, but are bringing Payroll in house for various reasons. One of the issues we are coming up with is printing signatures on the payroll checks. We have +/- 500 employees right now and expect to move to 750 this year. I know there has to be a way to print the signature on the payroll check to prevent the owner from having to sign every check. A stamp would take just as long as a pen, so that is not an option.

Anyone know how to get the signature to print on the payroll checks?

Thanks

Tom

Lodi, CA

Taking a shot in the dark here to see if any of you have an idea.

At my day job, we use Timberline Accounting Software. We have been with ADP, but are bringing Payroll in house for various reasons. One of the issues we are coming up with is printing signatures on the payroll checks. We have +/- 500 employees right now and expect to move to 750 this year. I know there has to be a way to print the signature on the payroll check to prevent the owner from having to sign every check. A stamp would take just as long as a pen, so that is not an option.

Anyone know how to get the signature to print on the payroll checks?

Thanks

Tom

Lodi, CA

I've never worked with Timberline, but the usual method is to get a good scan of the signature required, save it in the format the program will take (sized properly), then edit the check printing to add that file in the signature area.

Worst case, you could gen up a document with ONLY the signature, in the correct place for a check, and run all the printed checks through a second time to get the signature.

Have you tried the Timberline help files?

There are machines available for signing checks that are more secure than printing the signature as you print the check. It takes a little longer than the single step, but with 750 employees security can be an issue and often the signing of the checks needs to be in a different person or department in order to control opportunities for fraud. If you google check signing machine, you will get all kinds of companies selling all kinds of machines.

I am with the "not in one pass" opinion.

PR checks need to be reviewed. The person who looks at the checks (even if just for general correctness, if not at all of the information) can slap a stamp. I am not comfortable making it any easier for someone to blindly create negotiable checks without even a half (bleep)ed review of what is being handed out.

I am with the "not in one pass" opinion.

PR checks need to be reviewed. The person who looks at the checks (even if just for general correctness, if not at all of the information) can slap a stamp. I am not comfortable making it any easier for someone to blindly create negotiable checks without even a half (bleep)ed review of what is being handed out.

Since I am the guy that has to make that "half-(bleep) review", before it gets to the printer, I guess a one pass might work. But we are looking at a signing machine and the two pass option.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I have no idea what anyone else does, just what my preferences and experiences are. I don't look at the checks at all, but I know someone else is reviewing after me (and signing). I do have to my errors from time to time, and accept it.

There is no longer any such thing as check security, but I am still not comfortable removing the small amount of security a stamp, signature, or a second pass can provide.

Tom, the best part of the two-pass option with a good check-signing machine is that you can lock up the machine, and thus someone can not print a check just by breaking into the computer program. It takes just a bit more time, but it does add a level of physical security, IMHO. And there are machines that can print 750 checks in just minutes, once you have reviewed the payroll and printed the checks out.

Start here: My link

My link

My link

My link

You might also check with the Timberline people, to see which they recommend.