ATX Community

Windows 7 (wit or without XP Mode)

Tax Bird

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and having no problems with ATX in a networked environment. I assume it would work as well stand-alone.

That is *so* good to know!

I'm trying to squeeze one more tax season out of my old machine but if it fails, it;s good to know I can switch into a new machine running Win7.

So do you even have to run it in XP mode?

I'm running 1999 to 2009 ATX on my Win 7 computer. (2010 is TaxWorks.) So I can't confirm the 2010 ATX program will run, but I would assume so. I do run them in XP mode just to be safe. Actually, I think 1999 might be in 98 mode.

Anyway, mine is not on a network and is not 64 bit. I've heard some people have problems running ATX on 64 bit computers, while others are not having that problem.

Good luck. And I hope you don't have to change computers during the season.

I'm running 1999 to 2009 ATX on my Win 7 computer. (2010 is TaxWorks.) So I can't confirm the 2010 ATX program will run, but I would assume so. I do run them in XP mode just to be safe. Actually, I think 1999 might be in 98 mode.

Anyway, mine is not on a network and is not 64 bit. I've heard some people have problems running ATX on 64 bit computers, while others are not having that problem.

Good luck. And I hope you don't have to change computers during the season.

Me too. But it's good to know that I could probably switch out fairly quickly (& painlessly) if I have to.

Thanks for the input!

I am not running in XP mode - just "regular." I have ATX back to 2007 on my computer with my computer as a workstation. The server is running Server 2003 ( I think). I have QuickBooks back to 2006, and I am not having a problem with any of these. Good luck - no matter how smoothly it goes, I prefer not to change computers in tax season and I hope that you don't have to!

I am running 2010 on my laptop in Windows 7 64 bit. Not a network, but everything seems to be working well. I just did an update. Also have 2008 and 2009 on that computer. Am not running in XP mode, but have no problem moving files between that Win 7 and this Win XP computer.

I am not running in XP mode - just "regular." I have ATX back to 2007 on my computer with my computer as a workstation. The server is running Server 2003 ( I think). I have QuickBooks back to 2006, and I am not having a problem with any of these. Good luck - no matter how smoothly it goes, I prefer not to change computers in tax season and I hope that you don't have to!

That's even better to know. I was worried about my QuickBooks compatibility as well. Good to know there's a way older versions will work.

The way my machine is acting these days, this really will have to be my last tax season. I just hope it doesn't bug out on me before I'm ready.

I am running 2010 on my laptop in Windows 7 64 bit. Not a network, but everything seems to be working well. I just did an update. Also have 2008 and 2009 on that computer. Am not running in XP mode, but have no problem moving files between that Win 7 and this Win XP computer.

Oh excellent!

This is my most likely set up.

I run ATX PRS and was worried about not being able to roll over files (to a new machine from prior years) should the need arise.

This really puts my mind a ease.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed.

Don't downgrade Windows 7 to XP mode for no reason. If you do that, you might as well buy a 3 year old computer.

I am running Windows 7 64bit and programs that do not run on 64 bit operating system are installed using the 32 version automatically. I have 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 running properly. I am running IE on both 32 and 64 bit and I have not installed either.

Don't downgrade Windows 7 to XP mode for no reason. If you do that, you might as well buy a 3 year old computer.

I am running Windows 7 64bit and programs that do not run on 64 bit operating system are installed using the 32 version automatically. I have 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 running properly. I am running IE on both 32 and 64 bit and I have not installed either.

Thank you. That's good to know.

On a related note, do you (or anyone) have any tips or recommendations on smoothly migrating prior years over?

From computer 1, I back up each year to it's own folder on an external hard drive. (ie. 2009, 2008, etc)

To computer 2, I then restore to each year.

*** All programs (ATX) MUST be up to date or you will get the message that some forms have different versions, etc. when you try to open the client file.

This is for stand alone computers, I don't run the network version.

Hope this helps!

Be warned with QuickBooks that Intuit does NOT recommend running anything earlier than QB 2010 on a Windows 7 machine - especially the 64-bit machines. There's a whole KB article on it at the QB site.

I've heard of major problems in other fora -- and then some folks who have no problems, too. But if you depend on being able to use earlier versions of QB, keep the old machine around or run those programs in XP emulation.

Catherine

From computer 1, I back up each year to it's own folder on an external hard drive. (ie. 2009, 2008, etc)

To computer 2, I then restore to each year.

*** All programs (ATX) MUST be up to date or you will get the message that some forms have different versions, etc. when you try to open the client file.

This is for stand alone computers, I don't run the network version.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it helps a lot. I can see where this way will save me quite a bit of time. Very logical. Thank you!

Be warned with QuickBooks that Intuit does NOT recommend running anything earlier than QB 2010 on a Windows 7 machine - especially the 64-bit machines. There's a whole KB article on it at the QB site.

I've heard of major problems in other fora -- and then some folks who have no problems, too. But if you depend on being able to use earlier versions of QB, keep the old machine around or run those programs in XP emulation.

Catherine

Good idea. Thank you!

As an aside, thankfully, I have all my current client up to QB 2010. Still, I like the idea of preserving the older versions to work on new clients until they upgrade.