ATX Community

Do I need two Schedule C's?

NECPA in NEBRASKA

This is probably a stupid question, but I am having trouble searching since LLC and Schedule C are less than 4 letters. My client became an LLC in the middle of the year. Nothing changed except the name and he now has a federal ID#. Two schedules make no difference in tax, except that I have two 8829's and asset schedules. Do I need to have two of everything? Thanks!

Just to play devil's advocate, since he is trying to limit liability by forming an LLC, wouldn't it be better to have a separate Sch. C for the period after he became an LLC and thus keep everything completely separate? From a tax standpoint I don't see any reason that you can't do just one form, but I am wondering if from a legal standpoint it makes any difference in determining his seriousness in separating his business from himself personally. I don't know, and I am probably over-thinking this because I am tired.

If it's the same business, you can do one Sch C. However, I'd alert my client to the liability issue and let him make the choice. After all, 2010 is over, so unless he has a skeleton he hasn't told you about, it may not make any difference in his liability. But, you don't want to make that decision for him and tie your liability to his! 2011 will have his LLC reported under it's own number, but on his return, no issue after his first year as an LLC.