ATX Community

NT / Tips

RitaB

Every year I have somebody whose child turned 17 and they lose the Child Tax Credit. I try to put an article like the following in their stuff so they don't look at me like I'm nuts and think I didn't count the kid as a dependent. I try to do this the year before it happens, but I don't always remember.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106182,00.html

I just noticed that it's on page one of the 1040 now, thank you, IRS.

Also, I try to enter the "certain distributions" on line 4 of Form 8880 every year even if the people haven't contributed to retirement so I don't have to look it up when they do.

Every year I have somebody whose child turned 17 and they lose the Child Tax Credit. I try to put an article like the following in their stuff so they don't look at me like I'm nuts and think I didn't count the kid as a dependant. I try to do this the year before it happens, but I don't always remember.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106182,00.html

I just noticed that it's on page one of the 1040 now, thank you, IRS.

Also, I try to enter the "certain distributions" on line 4 of Form 8880 every year even if the people haven't contributed to retirement so I don't have to look it up when they do.

don't you think its odd that even when you have a 1099-r on the current year return it will not go to the 8880 as certain distributions and will even give the credit.

don't you think its odd that even when you have a 1099-r on the current year return it will not go to the 8880 as certain distributions and will even give the credit.

Yes, I have wondered that myself. In my experience, there are more "certain" distributions than not, so I would think the default would be to send it to that line. Bet it goes through unnoticed a lot.

You know the people who call you to see if their return is ready?

I like to finish their return at 6:00 am on a Saturday and call them while it's still coming out of the printer.

Rita -- have I mentioned recently that I love you?!?! :wub::lol:

I have a bunch of folks who are now on my brand-new "call at 6AM Saturday" list for next weekend.

• Like 1

You know the people who call you to see if their return is ready?

I like to finish their return at 6:00 am on a Saturday and call them while it's still coming out of the printer.

Thats quite funny after what happened here this morning. I had one of those callers yesterday afternoon. So this morning at 5:00AM when I finished his return, I called him to tell him its ready. Of course as I expected, the call went to voice mail so I politely left him a message. So, around 6:30 he calls back to see if I will be at the office around 7:00 if he stops in to pick it up. I really wanted to say NO, that I only came to the office at 5 this morning to do your return and then went back to bed. But of course I didn't. :(

This so so much fun!!!!!!!! :spaz:

Thats quite funny after what happened here this morning. I had one of those callers yesterday afternoon. So this morning at 5:00AM when I finished his return, I called him to tell him its ready. Of course as I expected, the call went to voice mail so I politely left him a message. So, around 6:30 he calls back to see if I will be at the office around 7:00 if he stops in to pick it up. I really wanted to say NO, that I only came to the office at 5 this morning to do your return and then went back to bed. But of course I didn't. :(

This so so much fun!!!!!!!! :spaz:

It'll get even "funner" as time moves on. When you have Office in Home, time or day is no object. If I go to bed early, I take the phone with me because some idiot will think that I am never supposed to sleep, eat or use the restroom.