ATX Community

Clergy

HV Ken

We have a clergy client - opts out of Social Security, receives a housing allowance. Went through 1040 Clergy worksheets.

Anyway, client tells us he was told he could deduct his charitable giving against his SE tax calculation.

We want to make sure we aren't missing something here. Is this legit?

Thanks!

While I agree with the conclusion of chadlonetree, I must admit that I have never seen where a church required in writing any specific amount of contributions and the only denomination that comes close to the required contributions mentioned by chadlonetree has been the AGs. This is just an observation and does not change the answer.

If he has a valid 4361 to opt out of SS taxes on file, then there is nothing to offset, now is there? You just check the box at the top of the Sch SE.

If he does not have an approved 4361 then he can not avoid the SE tax, but he MIGHT be able to put the tithes on his Sch C or 2106, IF his denomination REQUIRES that he tithe in order to be employed as a minister, as some do, then he can deduct them as a business expense. In such cases, I put them on the line for 'Returns and Allowances'.