ATX Community

NT/ Questions That Make You Want To Scream

RitaB

New potential client came in the other day and told me her tax preparer had retired. I asked her a few questions and it turns out she's been self-employed for a few years. So I asked her whether she had mileage logs and the like, and she said "I'm not a records kind of person. Can't you just put down what I said last year?" Sigh.

"I was in the neighborhood and thought I would drop by to ask: Have you have tried to call us?"

I've had their stuff for six days, and I told them I was two weeks behind when they dropped off. Been clients for seven years. SAME thing every year.

Edit: So, I finish the return today and call. I hear this: "The person you have called has a mailbox that is full and cannot receive messages."

• Like 1

So, just wait 'til the next time they drop by, I guess. Then you can tell them about their voice mailbox.

I had a client call super early this morning (didn't hear the phone so the machine got it), and used up ALL the time on my digital recorder except for 34 seconds. This lady does NOT know when to shut UP. I didn't even bother to _listen_ after the first two or three minutes of message.

Hmmm, I guess you could change your message to something like, Please limit your message to 15 seconds please along with the number where you can be reached. I stop listening after 20 seconds because I have to call you back anyway.

Sounds like an _excellent_ idea -- but we both know that the ones who really need to listen to that are the very ones who will ignore it!

laugh.gif

One of my favorites:

CLIENT: "We sold this stock last year, but we don't think we made any profit. Do we need to report it?"

ME: "Yes, you need to report it. Why don't you think you made any profit?"

CLIENT: "Well, we bought it a share or two at a time with payroll deductions over the last 20 years. It's gone up and down a lot. Do you think we might have made any money on it?"