ATX Community

Praying for no Tsunami on the west coast

BulldogTom

Any of you out there on the coast, especially in Northern CA and Oregon, my prayers are with you that this will be a non-event. Hopefully you are at higher ground already. They are saying the first waves will come in at about 7:30 Local time. In about a half and hour.

May God protect you and yours.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Stay safe Jainen. The one thing I learned while I was in the Coast Guard at Bodega Bay is that you cannot trust what the ocean will do.

Perhaps you should go have breakfast in the mountains this morning? Not like you are scared, but just because a nice breafast at 300 feet elevation is a beautiful thing.

Tom

Lodi, CA

We're thinking about all of you on the west coast. And, my kids who left for their honeymoon in New Zealand the day the earthquake hit and are returning through Tahiti and LA in time for the tsunami. (They backpacked through Europe to arrive in Monaco for the king's death and the Vatican for the pope's death. I think Homeland Security might want to talk with them!)

If you want prayers, you've got them from me. If you don't need to invoke God, I'll send warm, caring thoughts your way.

<snip>

If you want prayers, you've got them from me. If you don't need to invoke God, I'll send warm, caring thoughts your way.

I am seconding you on that one, Lion!! Prayers for all the folks in Japan, and anyone in the path of tsunamis. Remember, the first wave to hit is usually _not_ the biggest one. (Said with the authority of my earth sciences degree.)

>>Nature sure can get very mad<<

IT WAS TERRIFYING--WE WERE TRAPPED! Every way we turned the roads were blocked with fancy equipment the first responders finally got a chance to try out. [As usual, the real disaster for California was the media frenzy.]

But Japan, now. That's for real. If you don't have experience you can't imagine the enormity of an 8.9 earthquake. That's one of the most powerful in history, a hundred times more energy than the recent New Zealand quake. It will probably generate several aftershocks that themselves are more powerful than New Zealand's. In a heavily populated area of steep slopes like Japan the damage may be unmeasurable.

>>Nature sure can get very mad<<

IT WAS TERRIFYING--WE WERE TRAPPED! Every way we turned the roads were blocked with fancy equipment the first responders finally got a chance to try out. [As usual, the real disaster for California was the media frenzy.]

But Japan, now. That's for real. If you don't have experience you can't imagine the enormity of an 8.9 earthquake. That's one of the most powerful in history, a hundred times more energy than the recent New Zealand quake. It will probably generate several aftershocks that themselves are more powerful than New Zealand's. In a heavily populated area of steep slopes like Japan the damage may be unmeasurable.

Yes, it's a logarhythmic scale of energy released. It gets very hard to comprehend the energy released by a big quake. This one probably released more energy in just a couple of minutes than all of North America (US, Canada, Mexico) uses in a full year to power our very energy-hungry continent. Some of the video clips are astounding. God help the survivors - a lot of the damaged building will come down in the aftershocks. It's not over for them yet, they've just gotten through Round 1.

>>It's not over <<

That's probably the worst aspect of it. The quake was big and scary, but it was over in a minute. The floods were big and scary, but they were over in an hour.

But since then, every ten or twenty minutes there have been aftershocks of magnitude 4, 5, or 6. And the 2s and 3s aren't even being reported. You can't exactly feel them. There is just a CONTINUOUS instability in the whole world around you for days. My town went through that in 1989. It's about the most exhausting thing imaginable, completely sapping your strength when you need it most to recover from all the heavy damage.

[This time my town suffered 20 million dollars damage, mostly to our small craft harbor. No reports of injury except one crazy surfer still missing.]