ATX Community

Problem with Networked Computer

Tax Prep by Deb

I sure hope someone can help me. I had this problem last year also and the tech guy walked me through changing windows properties ect... but I didn't have time to write it down, and it seems like this year the computer guys have changed something again.

The problem I have is that when I download updates on my computer that is acting as the server I have no problem getting the new forms ect...

The problem is on the workstation. In order to get the updated forms to open on that computer I have to go to a return on my computer, opened it and save it. Then and only then does the new form open on the workstation computer. Right now it's not that big of a deal but in about two weeks it's going to be!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

Deb,

Just guessing but if the server name or the path changed then you would need to run netsetup on your workstation(s) again.

On your workstation do the following:

1. right click on ATX icon

2. select properties

3. select the shortcut tab

4. click find target (or locate target)

5. select the NETSETUP directory

6. run the netsetup.exe file

Hopefully this will correct your problem.

johnmac

Deb,

Ok, one more guess. The newfiles directory might need it's permissons changed. This is the directory where the updates are downloaded to. It does sound like a permission issue especially where netsetup did not help. If it is a permissions problem then only your "computer guys" can help you as they know how your network is set up.

johnmac

I am not entirely sure exactly what the problem is, I have seen this before when some files on the server are set to read only. There is a support file called Setatrib which will adjust all these for you, the file should be located on your ATX CD, in the TaxPrep folder and then Support ( I think as I am now doing this from memory), anyway run the file on the ATX2007 install folder, make sure the proram is not running on any machines. Then see if that helps. This particular issue can have several different causes so it is difficult to troubleshoot without being on the phone ...

Hope this helps.

I am not entirely sure exactly what the problem is, I have seen this before when some files on the server are set to read only. There is a support file called Setatrib which will adjust all these for you, the file should be located on your ATX CD, in the TaxPrep folder and then Support ( I think as I am now doing this from memory), anyway run the file on the ATX2007 install folder, make sure the proram is not running on any machines. Then see if that helps. This particular issue can have several different causes so it is difficult to troubleshoot without being on the phone ...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for trying Beth, but it didn't work. I still have the problem. I guess I'm going to have to break down and try to get some help through support, but I know before I even start it's going to be a night mare!

Thanks again!

Deb!

Deb,

Let's try something else, from your workstation, navigate to the ATX2007 install folder, right click on it, choose properties. There should be a read only box that is marked (this is marked by default, that's normal), remove the mark and click apply. Do you get an error message or does it change ?

If you get an error , then it is an issue with the way your permissions are setup.

Deb,

Let's try something else, from your workstation, navigate to the ATX2007 install folder, right click on it, choose properties. There should be a read only box that is marked (this is marked by default, that's normal), remove the mark and click apply. Do you get an error message or does it change ?

If you get an error , then it is an issue with the way your permissions are setup.

Beth,

Can you give me step by step? I went over to the work station, I have ATX mapped as a drive per instructions, I navigate to the ATX2007 program, do I right click here? Or do I double click then look for install folder? I don't see an install folder do you mean netsetup?

I guess I'm just not seeing what you want me to see!

Thanks, Deb

You would right click on the ATX2007 folder, don't open it.

Choose preference.

In the preferences window, down at the bottom there is a read only box, usually marked in green.

Click on that to remove the green and click apply.

Do you get an error message or do you see some little files move across the screen and the green go away?

Or did you finally get through to tech support and get it straightened out already?

You would right click on the ATX2007 folder, don't open it.

Choose preference.

In the preferences window, down at the bottom there is a read only box, usually marked in green.

Click on that to remove the green and click apply.

Do you get an error message or do you see some little files move across the screen and the green go away?

Or did you finally get through to tech support and get it straightened out already?

Beth,

I did what you suggested and I did get an error message when I got to the master1040 folder. It stated access denied.

I'm quite sure it's what you guys have stated, a permission issue, but what bugs the heck out of me is how they (the programers) change this every year. I DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS! The only time a change has been made to any of my computer settings, permissions, ect... has been when I encounter a problem with this program!

I've put off calling support because of the horror stories I read, however I guess I'm going to have to do it. I will be out of my office the rest of today, however I guess it will be number one priority tomarrow.

Thanks again!

Deb!

Okay try this, make sure the program is not running any computers first.

I'm assuming you are running XP.

From the server

If you navigate to the ATX2007 folder, open it, and right click on the Masters folder

Choose Properties

There should be a Securities Tab

You need to adjust under here so that any user that will be using the program has full access rights to this folder.

It should just be a matter of adding checkmarks to the Allow column. Apply these setting, then restart the workstation computer and try the above technice to remove the read only and see if we get an error.

If this doesn't work let me know and we'll try something else...

Okay try this, make sure the program is not running any computers first.

I'm assuming you are running XP.

From the server

If you navigate to the ATX2007 folder, open it, and right click on the Masters folder

Choose Properties

There should be a Securities Tab

You need to adjust under here so that any user that will be using the program has full access rights to this folder.

It should just be a matter of adding checkmarks to the Allow column. Apply these setting, then restart the workstation computer and try the above technice to remove the read only and see if we get an error.

If this doesn't work let me know and we'll try something else...

Beth,

I looked at the security tab as you suggested under the one that states permissions for everyone it's already checked all the way down except that one that says special permissions. I looked at exactly the same setting on the other years programs and there does not seem to be any difference. Last year when I had a similar problem the tech guy basically had me go through a similar process, so I've carefully considered my permission settings in 06 with that of 07 and I can't see any difference.

Maybe I'm not looking at what you want me to see, but hopefully we can get this straightened out. Thanks soooooo much for your help and concern!

Deb!

Deb how do you have the program networked, is it a mapped drive or just a shared folder. Basically if you go into my computer do you have a drive letter there that you can use to access the server and atx2007 install folder ?

If you could get through to techsupport this is something they should be able to fix for you fairly easily... they are good at helping resolve permission issues.

Yes I have a mapped drive specifically allocated to ATX. Some years ago a wonderful tech support guy had me move everything up on the latter, so to speak so my networked computer didn't have to look to hard. Basically to access the ATX folder from the networked computer I click onto the mapped drive, then each year of my programs have their own separate folder.

I have tried to follow every piece of info ATX guys have ever given me and I never change anything on my own. Although I know a little (very little) about a computer, I can usually follow step by step instructions. As far as calling Tech Support I haven't tried today because they already posted they were having problems with their phone lines, and frankly I just don't have time to play the waiting game today!

Thanks again,

Deb!

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same issue plus my program locks up when trying to use 3 comuters and /or after several hours use. We have to shout down and reboot. I too emailed tech support Sun. I haven't heard from them yet. I hope we get this figured out I would hate to use stand alone comoputer programs and have to keep track of all returns from 3 seperate co mputers. esp with efiles and having some control over work flow.

I'm still having the problem. Last year it was a permission issue and tech walked me through it. This year however I think it's just a fluke. My problem, although annoying, hasn't caused me not to be able to use the workstation. It's just that if I open a return on the workstation that contains a form that has not been opened on the server I run into a problem.

As to the computers on the workstations locking up, I've never experienced that in particular, however I did have issues of slow opening and slowing the workstation computer down. I did have problems with the program not opening at all because it was having to work to hard to locate it on the server, and again tech support helped that problem by having me move where I had 'ATX installed on the server.

This is different than what I experienced before. Altough it seemed at the time extremely important to get this fixed, my Dad's health, who uses the workstation, isn't allowing him to work much this year so I'm pretty much down to just needing the one computer.

This is going to be a very looooooooong tax season.

I do hope you get some where with support, I'm still waiting for a call back that was suppose to happen about three weeks ago.

Deb!

It does have to do with the permissions at least my lock up problems seem to be solved because of that. I sent an email sunday and got a reply yestr which only gave me an incident # that got me to a 2nd level tech this am after a 20 min hold. we tried all sorts of stuff but I hadn't turned off the "allow simple file sharing" and cn=onsequently couldn't get to the area to check to box to allow full control of the program file by the work stations. I still had a problem accessing a return from a workstation that had a form that had just been updated today. Had to open it from the server first. Also Rollovers seem to take longer from the workstations but at least they seem to be working. Time for bed. Good luck to all. I was impressed with the tech support I received once I got to the 2nd level. Maybe an email first to get an incident # will get you bumped up sooner.

It does have to do with the permissions at least my lock up problems seem to be solved because of that. I sent an email sunday and got a reply yestr which only gave me an incident # that got me to a 2nd level tech this am after a 20 min hold. we tried all sorts of stuff but I hadn't turned off the "allow simple file sharing" and cn=onsequently couldn't get to the area to check to box to allow full control of the program file by the work stations. I still had a problem accessing a return from a workstation that had a form that had just been updated today. Had to open it from the server first. Also Rollovers seem to take longer from the workstations but at least they seem to be working. Time for bed. Good luck to all. I was impressed with the tech support I received once I got to the 2nd level. Maybe an email first to get an incident # will get you bumped up sooner.

I had an incident number the first time I called in. I did get a call back the next day only to tell me that he hadn't had a chance to work on my problem, and that he would call me back on Monday. That was three weeks ago!

As to the check box to turn off simple file sharing, I had already checked this. My network is set up exactly the way they had me set it up last year. It's just that somewhere there is a bug! If I could find it I would squash it!

As for e-mail questions, I tried that on another issue and was told by their automated reponse that I could expect a reply in 24 to 48 hours, again that was at least a week ago. But that problem was resolved when they finally started sending and receiving CA e-files.

Other than that things have been fairly smooth!

Deb!

Yesterday afternoon after 35 minutes on hold during which I was drafting an angry email about this, I finally got in and they told me I had to follow document ID 14660 during installation. This requires that I use "Custom Install" when installing on a network server. I uninstalled the Max software on the server and uninstalled the netsetup on the workstation and then reinstalled everything in accordance with Document ID 14660.

The effect was that the problem became even worse in that the workstation can't even open a tax file. It has to be done from the server. So I'm back on hold again with tech support. The girl I was talking to seemed flustered. It appears that not only don't they have enough tech support, the people are not really familiar with the program. I had previously searched the knowledgebase for this problem and there is no mention of anything like it.

Don

Yesterday afternoon after 35 minutes on hold during which I was drafting an angry email about this, I finally got in and they told me I had to follow document ID 14660 during installation. This requires that I use "Custom Install" when installing on a network server. I uninstalled the Max software on the server and uninstalled the netsetup on the workstation and then reinstalled everything in accordance with Document ID 14660.

The effect was that the problem became even worse in that the workstation can't even open a tax file. It has to be done from the server. So I'm back on hold again with tech support. The girl I was talking to seemed flustered. It appears that not only don't they have enough tech support, the people are not really familiar with the program. I had previously searched the knowledgebase for this problem and there is no mention of anything like it.

Don

I feel your pain!

Even when I did get to tech support with this issue, it's was obvious after 4 hours the person I was speaking to had no clue about the ATX program so I asked if there was anyone in that department familiar with ATX and I was told NO! He did state that they were suppose to be getting a couple, but that they were in training for TAXWISE! Thus my whole frustrations over this program this year!

No Support!

Deb!