ATX Community

1099 R Taxability

SunTaxMan

Client, age 57. Retired on disability and collecting SS Disability, has received 2 1099-Rs from two different issuers:

1. IRA, Dist code 3. Box 1 and 2a filled in. Box 2b checked for "taxable amount not determined."

2. Pension, Dist code 2. Box 1 and 2a filled in. Box 2b NOT checked.

ATX is handling both as fully taxable and I don't think either should be.

On the 1040 "Filer's Information" worksheet, "Disabled" is checked.

Am I missing something?

Possibilities I see:

On the 1099R worksheet, if I leave box 2a blank, handling is non-taxable (but this does not agree with 1099-R as issued. (accuracy-related penalty possibility?).

Enter the 1099-Rs in ATX as issued and use line 21 on the 1040 for a subtraction figure, with explanation on the line 21 worksheet.

Thoughts?

Client, age 57. Retired on disability and collecting SS Disability, has received 2 1099-Rs from two different issuers:

1. IRA, Dist code 3. Box 1 and 2a filled in. Box 2b checked for "taxable amount not determined."

2. Pension, Dist code 2. Box 1 and 2a filled in. Box 2b NOT checked.

ATX is handling both as fully taxable and I don't think either should be.

On the 1040 "Filer's Information" worksheet, "Disabled" is checked.

Am I missing something?

Possibilities I see:

On the 1099R worksheet, if I leave box 2a blank, handling is non-taxable (but this does not agree with 1099-R as issued. (accuracy-related penalty possibility?).

Enter the 1099-Rs in ATX as issued and use line 21 on the 1040 for a subtraction figure, with explanation on the line 21 worksheet.

Thoughts?

Without all the information in hand, I will venture to state that both are taxable. He will not pay penalty but he needs to pay taxes at least on the IRA.

Use 5329 to show the exception code so it will not be taxable, and for the other 1099r with the Code 3 this will be earned income for the client which would qualify for the EIC. Sorry for the fast response, busy as a bee.

I think the 5329 is only for exception of 10% penalty. right?

IRA is taxble unless it was never deducted and you would have a 8606 in return.

Thanks for the responses. Sometimes it is difficult to see the woods for the trees. As soon as I saw the responses, I realized my error in thinking. Of course, the retirement income is taxable. The disability exception is for the early withdrawal penalty.

Thanks for "slapping my fingers."