ATX Community

Help - my ATX 2004 - 2009 just died

Kea

I don't think ATX would take my call since I'm with TRX.

I bought a new monitor yesterday and all seemed fine. But then I tried to open 2009 ATX and it downloads updates (successful). Then it tells me CCHSFS Tax Prep software has stopped working. I can either close the program or check online for a solution (which doesn't find one). Here are the Problem details (if that means anything):

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Tax2009.exe

Application Version: 2009.7.0.12

Application Timestamp: 4cbf1767

Fault Module Name: TitleBar.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a812aba

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000185c

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: ff70

Additional Information 2: ff70e1f43ca0336434566405e81069e7

Additional Information 3: d3e0

Additional Information 4: d3e0925157d20b8c1d9558dbbba44ad9

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I wouldn't think installing a monitor should cause problems for ATX. But I did install 3 programs with it:

multiScreen

MagicTune Premium

Samsung_MonSetup

I also noticed in the Programs list that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.21022 got installed. I don't know what installed that (scary). I don't remember doing a Windows update yesterday, but I might have. Perhaps ATX installed it with its updates?

Is anyone familiar with any conflicts with these programs? Before I start uninstalling programs I might need for the monitor, I just wanted to check what ATX might have issues with. 2010 TRX (TaxWorks) is still working.

I just checked and none of the 2004 - 2009 ATX programs are working.

But these programs are:

1998 - 2003 ATX all open (I haven't tested if there are other problems, but at least they open.)

2000 Excel & Word

Firefox 4.0

Thunderbird 3.1.9

I'm now thinking Microsoft Visual C++ might be the problem.

Any advise before I just start deleting programs I might need?

If I go back to a restore point, could I lose any tax data from TaxWorks (yes, I have a backup)?

Thanks

I had trouble with ATX [minor, not total death] when I started using one multi-monitor software. I ended up changing from that program and the problems ended. So that might be the issue.

I'd start by removing the new programs, see if that fixes it. If it does, probably a tech can figure out what the conflict is and then fix that, or else advise a different program that does the same things without the conflict. Right now, you just want the tax software to work, over any other issues, I'm guessing.

I thought about using the restore point, but I'm always afraid I'll lose data. Can that happen, or am I just paranoid?

I've never actually used it, and I'm nervous about trying it this close to April!

Restore point restores settings and removes program updates but doesn't touch data.

If you're paranoid (and on March 31st, that is an extremely reasonable thing to be), do a data backup first. But restore points have saved my bacon a couple of times.

Catherine

Restore point restores settings and removes program updates but doesn't touch data.

If you're paranoid (and on March 31st, that is an extremely reasonable thing to be), do a data backup first. But restore points have saved my bacon a couple of times.

Catherine

Same here. Restore is a wonderful tool when needed. But, yes, I would backup first although they say you can return to the present status. At this time in the tax game, I wouldn't take any chances.

I did also notice that there were 2 new icons in my task manager - MultiScreen & Samsung Panal Manager.

I exited both of those & ATX started working again!!! So I went into msconfig & unchecked them from the startup list. (I generally try to keep the startup list as small as practical.)

I knew the areas to check, but was worried about "tinkering" this time of year.

So, just a heads up - ATX doesn't seem to like MultiScreen and / or Samsung Panal Manager. Maybe after 4/18 I see which one is the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. And I'll know not to worry too much about restore points, if I ever need them.

So, just a heads up - ATX doesn't seem to like MultiScreen and / or Samsung Panal Manager. Maybe after 4/18 I see which one is the problem.

Thanks for the post, Kea. My problem was MultiScreen. Will figure it out later. For now, I just exited MultiScreen. Whew.

This has been interesting because I am reading this as a monitor that splits the screen rather than 2 monitors. I have 2 monitors side by side and have had no problems whatsoever. Love it, wouldn't trade for anything, even a single large monitor. Think I made the better choice for me, anyway. Hope you get it figured out successfully later!

Rita -- glad it worked for you. I can help you not come up at start-up if you want. But, it may be a feature you want to keep and just disable for ATX. I haven't even tried it yet.

And I like your sig line.

Thank you!

I had to buy a new monitor a couple of days ago. Mine is capable of displaying the screen in up to four sections, or so they say. Was not even a consideration with me, and I have NO IDEA how to actually make this happen, but I hope to figure it out later. Haha!

I just wanted a monitor. I pulled out a 14 inch one when the one I was using died, and realized I am actually blind compared to 10 years ago. LOL. I couldn't get to Staples fast enough after eight hours of that.

This has been interesting because I am reading this as a monitor that splits the screen rather than 2 monitors. I have 2 monitors side by side and have had no problems whatsoever. Love it, wouldn't trade for anything, even a single large monitor. Think I made the better choice for me, anyway. Hope you get it figured out successfully later!

Yes, I think you made the better choice for ME, too. Geez. LOL.

Glad that worked.

I got my new monitor when I saw one on sale online for $130 for a 21.5." It seemed like that made it a good time to upgrade from my 15." I am enjoying the larger size and clearer display. I didn't even know my old monitor wasn't that good.

There is a Freeware program called "WinSplit Revolution" that will automatically (but only when you ask) re-size windows to fit side-by-side on your monitor. Top & bottom, side-by-side, or four corners. I've found it _very_ useful.

http://winsplit-revolution.com is the site.

Catherine, that sounds useful even though I have 2 monitors. Sometimes I wish I had 3. Maybe I'll try it out - later!

My wireless mouse and keyboard both began pooping out (technical term) on me last week. Mouse ball not always rolling, keyboard keys not always reacting so I just got new both. The typing mistakes are unreal! But at least the keys work and the ball works. Just wish I could have waited until later but the issues were also making me craaaaazzyyy!

Catherine, that sounds useful even though I have 2 monitors. Sometimes I wish I had 3. Maybe I'll try it out - later!

My wireless mouse and keyboard both began pooping out (technical term) on me last week. Mouse ball not always rolling, keyboard keys not always reacting so I just got new both. The typing mistakes are unreal! But at least the keys work and the ball works. Just wish I could have waited until later but the issues were also making me craaaaazzyyy!

Yes, Catherine, thanks for the info.

Margaret, my mouse is acting up, too. I don't know if it's an issue with the new monitor or what. Craaaaazzyyy is the right word!

When my wireless keyboard acts up I can usually "fix" it by pushing the reset button on the keyboard or the one on the sensor. Or, sometimes just moving the sensor from hiding behind something.

I'm sure at some point that will stop working & I'll have to replace the whole thing.

Turning it over and tapping it to knock out the tiny debris that falls into it can also help with a keyboard. And today's mice do not have track balls, they have optical sensors. Now and then they just die, but often all they need is a new battery. Always try that first when it gets flaky. Ditto for wireless keyboards. It's easy to overlook the simple things when we get this tired.

Why do all the nuts and fruitcakes come in in early April??????

Thanks for the hints, folks. I tried all those things and more. I even used a tiny brush to try to clean between the wheel and the mouse case. Lots of cat hair came out but no difference in performance. I use the canned air to clean all the keyboard ridges with no change. More cat hair and the odd crumb but still a couple of sticky keys. Sometimes things, like ME, just wear out or want to quit. Like now -

It works with two monitors! (I have two.) My keyboard is crapping out, too -- the "m" key is intermittent, as is the shift key, and some others. A client loaned me a (used) keyboard but I've been too flat-out to install it!

Ack!!