ATX Community

I believe my clients think today's the deadline!

Tax Prep by Deb

I've told VERY few clients that Monday is the deadline, instead of today. This week has also been very busy in my office. But I expect tomorrow to be quiet - have one coming to pick up and another coming to do 2009 and 2010. By Monday AM I have to complete the sales tax returns for my monthly business clients; these returns are due by 4/20 so my assistant will deliver them Monday afternoon. Monday I have a couple coming in from PA who also think today's the deadline; I've already filed their extension and they're bringing me the balance of their 2010 information. Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Lynn

Kenner, La

I told my clients from the get-go that today was the deadline for my office. Yesterday was quiet and today was quieter. We closed the office at 3 this afternoon. I am cleaning up about 30 State corporate efiles that did not have efile capability when I did the returns prior to March 15th. Fortunately the State deadline is April 15 (18) so I had shelved these to work on tonight from home. It is slow and tedious work and I have nearly fallen asleep on everyone of them because there is nothing to keep me engaged. Hope your next couple of days are everything you want them to be.

In general I didn't tell clients that the deadline was Monday until after they had filed. Then I asked them to keep my secret. But I think the word got out anyway. Wednesday was really busy, a little less yesterday and even less today (only moderately busy). But there are about 7 that are waiting for last bits of info or signatures. And about 5 that I haven't heard anything from. I'm afraid Monday will get ugly.

I got this cartoon today & forwarded it to some friends. One wrote back & asked if I knew it was April 15th - and how can I possibly have time for sending personal e-mails today.

The very first "senior moment" in history...

post-223-0-91245600-1302922623_thumb.jpg

And that's what happened to the dinosaurs!

Finishing up five returns for a family (two trust funds and two kids with kiddy tax). Then on to a woman with two trust funds as well as her individual. And, maybe one more individual for a self-employed violin teacher. Everyone else who arrived late (or needed extra research) is already on extension, including myself. Daughter has a concert tonight up in Hartford, so won't be working after mid-afternoon today.

By the way not all states honor the federal 18 April deadline for all returns. Friday I was checking on CT deadlines for things like 1Q ES payments and saw the deadline remains 15 April for CT OP-424 Business Entity Tax. Couldn't remember paying my own, which I pay when I get the mailing from CT. Couldn't find any record I paid nor copy of any mailing, so called CT and learned I paid 2009 but not 2010. Too late to pay online (24 hours before the 4:30 p.m. close of business) and had already sent hubby to PO, so ended up paying via credit card where I have to pay that convenience fee. Oh well, the $6 or so is cheaper than the CT late fee of $50. And, I set up for a reminder next year for 1 April. Guess CT is saving money and not mailing the forms anymore. Now, they can get an extra $50 from small businesses!

Happy weekend. :spaz: