ATX Community

too many W2Gs

joanmcq

Client went off the gambling wagon, and so the return has 33 W2Gs. Just got an error message when creating the efile that the limit (for the IRS? for ATX?)is 30. So, would you combine a few (I dont' think all that info gets transmitted) or paper-file?

I think I've reached my paper file limit with the RDP returns. I've gone through more paper so far this year than I usually do in 2.

>>the limit (for the IRS? for ATX?)is 30<<

The IRS publishes e-file requirements for each tax year. According to their list of acceptable forms at My link, W-2G is limited to 30 copies.

Don't try to "combine" forms--matching information returns is what the IRS does best of all. And you may have noticed they are paying a LOT of attention to e-file requirements and preparer services lately.

Oh, I've loved efile ever since I started; back in 2003 I think. As soon as I started my own biz. I love it, my clients love it. I really don't understand all the complaining; I've had to paper file all my RDP federal returns this year (and had to explain how to paper file to some of the young'uns-they'd never done it) and its been a pain in the butt.

i have combined for years and never had an issue

I used to combine too until one taxpayer with a lot of w-2g left a couple out and did not give to me. She got a match letter and we got an extra penalty because they showed we didn't included any of the w-2g's on efile form just lumped on line 21. we had to fight it and took a long time to get the penalty abated for that part of it. I didn't charge because I thought if I had listed separtedly it would not have been a problem. it now is worth the time to input each one. just to be safe