ATX Community

NATP

cientax

I receive a catalog once in a while which is basically only an advertisement for courses and nothing more. I don't think I am a member since I don't remember ever joining and I don't pay any dues. Is anyone here a member and what does it cost to become a member and is it worth the money and time to join?

Just curious. Thanks

I receive a catalog once in a while which is basically only an advertisement for courses and nothing more. I don't think I am a member since I don't remember ever joining and I don't pay any dues. Is anyone here a member and what does it cost to become a member and is it worth the money and time to join?

Just curious. Thanks

I have been a member for the last 5 years or so. I get my folders with their logo as a member. They send tax information every other week on emails and a booklet. There is always a question (most of the time it's a tricky and important question) and answer. Every year, you can ask a question for free and they have good people working for them and answering that one question.

It's $150-$200 yearly fee is well spent.

I belong to both NATP and NAEA for their e-newsletters and printed magazines and other educational materials included in membership for similar prices. Here in CT, I've found the local NAEA chapter has had more engaging live education. I might drop NATP. The best value for my dollar comes from NY/CT-ATP at only $50, but if you're not in NY or CT that won't help you. (If you are, then check out their web site at NYCTATP.org)

I was a member. I used it to get a lower price on classes. Did not use their products or folders. I found it a waste of money. My clients don't care what initials I put after my name or what organizations I belong to, they only care that I do their return correctly for a fair price.

NATP seems like a good source of email/newsletters. Worth the membership for that alone. Their seminars are strictly "tax" based. Some instructors have no background in Accounting. Some have background in financial planning. Which all means limited frame of reference in understanding the "why" of the tax returns. Periodically NATP has a special seminar that is especially valuable, but generally Gear Up my favorites, especially those offered by Maryland Society of Accts.

To give you an example of the questions answered every week, here is the latest one:

"Question: In 2010, Ralph and Lynn installed new energy-efficient windows in their principal residence. They received a credit of $600 for the new windows on their 2010 tax return. In March 2011, the couple purchased a new energy-efficient furnace for the same home. Can they take a credit for this purchase in 2011?

Answer: No. Under §25C, taxpayers that make investments in residential energy property are allowed up to $500 in tax credit for making the improvements on their principal residence in 2011. The credit has both a lifetime limit and a limit based on the type of property expenditure. The lifetime limit under §25C(B )(1) states the taxpayer cannot exceed $500 over the amount of the credit taken in any prior year ending after December 31, 2005. In this case, Ralph and Lynn have taken $600 in credits in the prior years, and thus they are not allowed a credit in 2011. Even if they would not have taken the credit in the prior years, the maximum amount of credit that would have been available for the furnace would have been $150 under §25C(B )(3)(B )."

I guess we should ask for copies of their taxes for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 if they are in this situation unless they didn't have a house on those years or are your clients since 2005.

New membership is 171.00 they have weekley, monthly and quarterly newsletters or magazines that go out. There are several State's that have Chapters that are active in Tax Education. NATP is comprised of individuals with not initals behind their names and some with initials. I would recommend this for a good source of education and a great source for networking with fellow tax professionals on a persoanl basis.

I do know that they are having a special free trial. If you need more information please email me at [email protected]