ATX Community

PTIN question

Pacun

I sent form 23 to the IRS with the $30 fee to enroll as EA. Within a couple of weeks, I got my certificate and my enrolled agent number. The number assigned is something like 00100XXX-EA. I thought my EA number was going to replace my PTIN but I think I was wrong. I was also looking where in ATX I was going to enter my EA number and I didn't find a place for it. Do you know where I can use that number and designation when I prepare returns for my clients?

As you guessed, your EA number is separate from your PTIN. When you sign your name to tax returns, you will add "EA" as in

John Doe, EA

I don't use ATX, so someone will jump in with where to enter your EA number in the software. It really doesn't enter into play in a return, but will when using e-Services, for instance.

There are two places I know of where you enter your EA identification number :

1) on the Power of Attorney Form (F2848) in the identification column of the last question.

2) on the EA renewal form (F8554) on line 2. Interestingly, the form has boxes for a six digit number, but my EA certificate shows only a five digit number. I left the first box blank - seemed like a good move at the time. :wall:

Don, I just did a 2848, and for the ID, all they ask is representative designation and jurisdiction. No EA #, although I do think I remember that in past years.

I think you enter C under designation and you enter your EA number under "Jurisdiction (state) or identification".