ATX Community

Prize award for champion steer.

Jack from Ohio

Client's son received notice of not filing for 2009. Son was senoir in High School and won Grand Champion Steer in 4-H for his county. Steer sold for $12, 650. 1099MISC was issued, but son did not file a return. He was led to believe it was not taxable. He had no other income for 2009.

Calculating tax due as prize on line 21 results in $1,373 in tax. Would it be proper to put this on C-EZ and deduct expenses? Even with the SE tax, the amount is considerably lower even as low as $300. Boy has had 4H steers for the past 6 years and not won any prizes.

Your thoughts and opinions?

When I did this MANY years ago, I filed a Sch. F each year that I had the project. My children did the same. If the boy is in 4-H, then he should have a complete set of books regarding his livestock project. They are graded on this by the county and state organization. He probably made money on this, but the majority of these lose money due to the high cost of show calves, special feed and handling, travel, etc.

The question that I have is does the Sch F income only include the FMV of the calf sold, with the remaining money shown as a prize on line 21?