ATX Community

NT - UNUSUAL

Edward

I have kept a file copy of all my returns starting with the first one filed in 1958 - that year I was in the military and that's the year we became subject to Social Security Taxes. The return for that year was a 7 1/4 x 3 1/4 punch card (1040A). I suspect that was when the 1040A was initiated? Last week a company shredded the returns from 1958 thru 1990. Hated to depart with them.

Hope Don isn't saying he still has the 1040A copies he filed for his clients in 1918 !!

My earliest copies of tax returns were on Thermofax paper, which has the unfortunate property of turning black after a decade or two. In a rare moment of lucidity I discarded these totally unreadable copies, even though some future technology could possibly resurrect them (if not the clients).

>>I have kept a file copy of all my returns starting with the first one filed in 1958<<

I also have copies of most of the returns I have filed which came in handy when I applied for social security. There were 3 years that they didn't have any record of my earnings. I had copies of returns for 2 of those years and they gave me credit for those 2 years. I needed that credit since social security is based on the high 35 years and I did't have 35 years under social security because I worked 18 years for the government before they started withholding SS. They also gave me credit for the 2 1/2 years I was in the military before they came under the social security system. Sometimes it pays to hang onto old records.

>>I have kept a file copy of all my returns starting with the first one filed in 1958<<

I also have copies of most of the returns I have filed which came in handy when I applied for social security. There were 3 years that they didn't have any record of my earnings. I had copies of returns for 2 of those years and they gave me credit for those 2 years. I needed that credit since social security is based on the high 35 years and I did't have 35 years under social security because I worked 18 years for the government before they started withholding SS. They also gave me credit for the 2 1/2 years I was in the military before they came under the social security system. Sometimes it pays to hang onto old records.

That is interesting, because my husband who is also self-employed would have received very minimal SS had it not been for the four years he spent in the Navy. We had to prove dates of service and honorable discharge, but was well worth the effort. It does pay to hang onto old records.

That is interesting, because my husband who is also self-employed would have received very minimal SS had it not been for the four years he spent in the Navy. We had to prove dates of service and honorable discharge, but was well worth the effort. It does pay to hang onto old records.

• 2 weeks later...

When my dad was selling his house, I got rid of all but the newest 7 years of returns. he had them back to 1958 too. along with the paperwork. It was interesting looking at them. His 1958 wasn't a postcard though; and he didn't have any of us kids then or the house.