ATX Community

2010 calculator odd result

TaxCPANY

Is "270.914" the result anyone else gets when inputting 73.22 x 3.7 on the calculator in 2010 ATX? Where is that .004 coming from? (On my old WinXP Pro machine.) Is this a new glitch, or have I been placing too much reliance for too long on ATX's calculator?

That is the result that I get when using my desktop calculator. I have never used the calculator in ATX.

Is "270.914" the result anyone else gets when inputting 73.22 x 3.7 on the calculator in 2010 ATX? Where is that .004 coming from? (On my old WinXP Pro machine.) Is this a new glitch, or have I been placing too much reliance for too long on ATX's calculator?

I get the same result on both calculators. How much do get? It is hard to understand what you mean by "Where is that .004 coming from?" when we get the same results from both calculators. Is your ATX program updated?

>>Where is that .004 coming from?<<

Basic arithmetic. When you multiply two numbers, the product will have as many total decimal places as there are in both numbers. We Ancient Ones remember this as one of the cross checks for math with paper & pencil. Some calculators will round that up or down to the significant figure. With money the "sig fig" is usually two, because the lowest denomination is a cent (hundredth). However, there are many times, even with taxes, when you have to keep track of greater detail.

One of the early computer frauds involved a banker who captured all those partial cents and transferred them to his own account. It totaled millions of dollars!

Wish I could have aborted this post; one of those totally-stupid moments when one hits Enter too early. OF COURSE, one gets this result *outside* of an Excel cell formatted to two decimal places!

I actually have a *real* problem: 2010 ATX totaling $1,200 less than aggregate, state estimated taxes. But I'm still trying to determine whether that's unique to my XP machine or carried-over from a corrupt file -- so not ready for "prime time."

My apologies to ALL who've paid any attention to my gaffe. VTY, TaxCPANY

Wish I could have aborted this post; one of those totally-stupid moments when one hits Enter too early. OF COURSE, one gets this result *outside* of an Excel cell formatted to two decimal places!

I actually have a *real* problem: 2010 ATX totaling $1,200 less than aggregate, state estimated taxes. But I'm still trying to determine whether that's unique to my XP machine or carried-over from a corrupt file -- so not ready for "prime time."

My apologies to ALL who've paid any attention to my gaffe. VTY, TaxCPANY

Check the state estimated tax payments input sheet for date input errors. Bites me several times every tax season.