ATX Community

Document Management Software?

Crank

Im looking for document management software recommendations for the organization and storing of digital tax documents (w2, 1099, etc).

Im using the TRX version of TaxWorks for the upcoming tax season but it doesnt have a document management feature. I would like to be able to link scanned documents to the respective clients if possible. I attended a Drake software seminar last year and they have built in document management software.

Thanks

I just realized that the scanning software that came bundled with a Brother mutli-function ink jet which I purchased a few years ago may be adequate for the task. Its called Scansoft PaperPort 11. They are now up to version 14 and have a business version. If anyone is interested it can be found here.

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/paperport/index.htm

I've relied on PaperPort since version 6, now have v.14. It can read and produce every file format I've ever needed it to (and so doesn't lock me into a proprietary format); allows me to manipulate every pixel of a document -- e.g., clean up the scruffiest, stained paper a client comes up with. As the Windows Explorer tree structure feels so natural to me, I've never had a different way to arrange client data -- Data Partition\Client Name\Year\Particular Matter(s) &/or sub-folder(s) as needed -- and Paperport displays the Folders tree or document thumbnails in its left pane, the docs or page detail in its right pane. My assistant prefers its PDF 'viewer' to Adobe Acrobat.

I've been using a program just bought out by Drake this year; it's called GruntWorx. They take your scanned file and index it; one-click access to W-2's, 1099's (by type), etc. Just this year they are marketing it with an Adobe add-on for accountants called "Tic, Tie, and Calculate" which adds the ability to repaginate, add-in late-received forms, re-name, run "paper tape" calculations right on the pdf page, put check-marks next to items completed -- I got the trial version and really liked that so I've ordered a license.

GruntWorx info: http://copanion.com/

Tic, Tie, and Calculate info: http://cpaperless.com/

Please note that there is a special discounted price (about $25 off the license or something like that) on TTC for GruntWorx users so if you might want both, talk to GruntWorx and get your discount!