ATX Community

Another Dependent Question

AnnieR

Client has income of 17,000, MFJ. Oldest daughter is 19, graduated from high school in May. She has a job and earned $6100. Family has 12 year old son. Am I correct in thinking that the daughter is not considered a dependent because she is 19 and earned more than 1/2 her support. TIA

AnnieR

>>daughter is not considered a dependent because she is 19 and earned more than 1/2 her support<<

The question is not how much she earned but the amount of support, because she is a qualifying child unless she provided more than half her own support. Maybe she saved her earnings. Maybe the parent had other resources, or somebody else contributed too. Fill out the worksheet on page 20 of Pub 501, and remember that housing support is calculated as fair rental value, NOT actual costs.

Thanks so much. It is great to be able to have this resource....and Jack, did you get to share the 6" of snow that we got in our section of OH last night?

AnnieR

We have an inch of sleet with three inches of snow on top. Supposed to get up to 40+ tomorrow, so I am hoping most of the snow will melt. The streets and roads thawed today because the crews salted and plowed early morning and it was in the high 20s today.

It looks pretty, but this morning I have to drive down my hill in it. And, hope our church parking lot is plowed. Had some Saturday errands, but we planned ahead and did them all Friday night. I grew up near Chicago, so am no stranger to snow. But, snow on CT's narrow, windy, hilly roads with no shoulders is scarier!