ATX Community

life time learning credit

grandmabee

>>I thought tuition and Books, supplies also counted toward the life time learning credit<<

According to Pub 970, "books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance."

The American Opportunity Credit allows them even if they are not bought from the school itself, but the Lifetime Learning Credit still does not allow most books and supplies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i digress...but taking a shot at a lifetime tuition tax credit question for jainen:

high school student (parent) pays for summer school community college credits...and receives a 1098T for $900.

20% lifetime tuition credit or not?

my opinion is yes..but it is against all prior opinions i have read about what the meaning of "post secondary" education "is".

Well here is my take on this. Post Secondary education is after high school. The summer school community college credits is in question. Is this higher education such as getting a jump start on college while still in high school? If so, then I agree on the education credit. I guess the AOC wouldn't apply as community college is not normally a bachelors program unless it is being used as the first two years in pursuit of a bachelors degree. It would be highly possible for a highly gifted student to be enrolled in both high school and college. So, why wouldn't the education credits apply?

(edit) TD!...thanks for your response.

more about my 20% lifetime tuition credit story...many high school districts offer paid tuition for students taking allowed community college credits while in high school (not what i'm talking about). this participation requires an accepted enrollment in the CC. any other CC enrolled credits (summer school or regular school year) taken and paid for by the high school student have generated a 1098T.

my interpretation (subject to further review)...qualifying "post secondary" tuition expenses include payments made while enrolled in any CC or even a 4 year college/university...and not just tuition expenses paid AFTER high school graduation.

lion...thanks for your response.

more about my 20% lifetime tuition credit story...many high school districts offer paid tuition for students taking allowed community college credits while in high school (not what i'm talking about). this participation requires an accepted enrollment in the CC. any other CC enrolled credits (summer school or regular school year) taken and paid for by the high school student have generated a 1098T.

my interpretation (subject to further review)...qualifying "post secondary" tuition expenses include payments made while enrolled in any CC or even a 4 year college/university...and not just tuition expenses paid AFTER high school graduation.

Disagree - POST means AFTER

Secondary mean High School

>>Secondary mean High School<<

The regs are referring to the education, not the student. There is no requirement that you have to be a high school graduate to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit. However, the education must be part of a college degree program or to improve job skills. Most high school students would not qualify on this point except for Advanced Placement classes.

>>Secondary mean High School<<

The regs are referring to the education, not the student. There is no requirement that you have to be a high school graduate to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit. However, the education must be part of a college degree program or to improve job skills. Most high school students would not qualify on this point except for Advanced Placement classes.

jainen...i took a quick look at TheTaxBook, Tab 12-1: Comparison of Educ Credits - (under) Lifetime Learning Credit

"available for all years of post secondary education (as you say, and i agree, at a college institution and not whether the student is a high school graduate) and for courses to ACQUIRE or improve job skills."

"student does not need to be pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential."