ATX Community

last minute efile is rejected. Now what?

schirallicpa

I will note that this is my sister-in-laws corp. Grumble mumble......

Efiled Fed return on Friday am. Accepted. Efiled NYS on Friday pm. No update when I left on Friday. Monday, NYS efile is rejected. I open return and the efile rejection action says that there is no rejection error in my return. Figure I must have changed something before I sent it to NY. So I re-create and efile again. No update by the time I leave Monday pm. This morning it is still rejected. (with the same message that there is no error in the return.)

Now what do I do? We will surely get late penalties etc. Do I have anyway to contest that we attemped to file on time?

An email from CCH on Friday 14 September:

efx-news.jpg

CORPORATION (1120), S CORPORATION (1120S), PARTNERSHIP (1065), FIDUCIARY (1041) E-File Deadlines

Dear ProSystem fx Customer:

Based on your current e-fxNews profile, below is an item you may find of interest.

Timely Filing of Corporation, S Corporation, Partnership, or Fiduciary Returns

Timely Filed:

To be timely filed, CCH must receive your returns before midnight in your local time zone, Monday, September 17, 2012.

Rejected returns:

1120, 1120S, or 1065 Returns

If the IRS rejects any of your returns, you have 10 calendar days to resubmit the return and obtain approval from the IRS.

1041 Returns

If the IRS rejects any of your returns, you have 5 calendar days to resubmit the return and obtain approval from the IRS.

States:

Based on information received for Partnership returns, the following states do not conform to the IRS 10-day perfection period:

• New Jersey rejected returns. New Jersey allows five (5) business days to resubmit rejected returns and obtain approval.
  • New York rejected returns. New York allows seven (7) calendar days to resubmit rejected returns and obtain approval.
  • Pennsylvania Form PA-20S/65 rejected returns. Pennsylvania has no defined perfection period. They must be filed and approved by the due date to be considered timely.

Based on information received for Corporation and S Corporation returns, the following states do not conform to the IRS 10-day perfection period:

• South Carolina rejected returns. South Carolina allows twenty (20) calendar days to resubmit rejected returns and obtain approval.
  • Maryland and Maine rejected returns. These states allow five (5) calendar days to resubmit rejected returns and obtain approval.
  • New York rejected returns. New York allows seven (7) calendar days to resubmit rejected returns and obtain approval.
  • New York City, Pennsylvania Form PA-RCT-101 and Tennessee rejected returns. These states have no defined perfection period. They must be filed and approved by the due date to be considered timely.

Based on information received for Fiduciary returns, the following state does not conform to the IRS 5-day perfection period:

• New York rejected returns. New York allows five (5) calendar days to resubmit rejected returns. In order to resubmit electronically, the federal return must also be rejected.

Paper returns:

If the IRS rejects any of your returns and the return does not fall into an e-file mandate and you choose to file a paper return, the deadlines are as follows:

• 1041 - A paper return must be filed by the latter of the due date of the return or ten (10) calendar days after the date the electronic portion was rejected. For example, a return rejected on September 17, 2012, would be due September 27, 2012, if filing by paper.
  • 1120/1120S/1065 - The paper return must be postmarked by the latter of the due date of the return (including extensions) or ten (10) calendar days after the date the IRS last gives notification that the return was rejected.

If you have any questions, please call ProSystem fx support at 1-800-PFX-9998 (1-800-739-9998).

Online self-service help is now available. Find answers to your CCH questions in our Knowledge Base at http://support.cch.com/answers/.

Sincerely,

CCH, a Wolters Kluwer business

Manage your e-fxNews subscription: Edit | Unsubscribe

This just in this morning,

ATX Business E-file and Business States (NY blank rejects resolution) 9/21/2012

Updated 9-21-12 NY blank acks

Problem: NY in the past few days has been sending rejected acks with no error codes. NY DOR is aware of the issue of sending back acks with no reject code and we have no estimated time of resolution for those blank acks.

We have a solution for you to try now: We have learned that most of the rejects with no error codes are due to a new validation rule activated for the NY CT-3S returns with the form NY CT-34SH present.

Download the latest version (version 24) of this ATX form, create a new efile and send. If rejected again, the ack would contain the proper reject wording.