ATX Community

Equifax, freezing credit and E-Services

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I went to a tax school last week and one of the speakers said that freezing our credit would make it impossible to be use E-Services or some other IRS online activities, like Direct Payment. I have not used Direct Payment, but I have had clients that do, I definitely need to use E-Services. This was the first that I had heard this. She was an IRS RO for 30 years, but I'm not sure if she is correct. Has anyone else heard this? I am not excited about freezing everyone's credit in the family, but almost all of us were in the lucky 143 million.

I just found out from SSA that I cannot open a MySocialSecurity online account without either unfreezing my credit (they use Equifax!!) or taking ID in person to a SSA office, none of which are very close.  When I tried to set up online, I received a message that I cannot open a SS account with my SSN -- that scared me since I'm due to get my first SS direct deposit in October.  So, I immediately called and was told they can't approve me because my credit is frozen.  Another project for November.  Guess I'll look into E-Services, also.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Catherine said:

I have gotten account transcripts online since I froze my credit.  Perhaps one cannot set up a new account with e-services?

You might be locked out of E-services when you are required to make the 6 month change in password?  Or, when you renew your PTIN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read an IRS notice today (sorry, the link is on my work computer so I can't share it now) telling us the changes to expect in eservices later this month.  We now have to register through something like "Secure Access."  Yes, even those of us who went through the other registration they demanded not long ago.  If it wasn't through the secure system we have to do it all over.  And yes, the notice stated if our credit report at Equifax is frozen, we will have to unfreeze it.  Apparently the questions they ask so we can prove who we are come from Equifax's database (e.g.,  how much your mortgage is or where you lived 100 years ago).

Talk about infuriating!  To date Equifax has not notified anyone whose data were stolen. (Website is useless, so take heart NECPA, maybe you weren't all hacked after all.)  And there is no word on exactly what info was taken.  It "may" have been birthdates and SS#s, but was it also our mortgage payments and where we lived 100 years ago and all the rest of the history Equifax keeps on us?  If the hackers have that, they can save us all the trouble of having to swim through the hoops IRS is imposing to access eservices and just do it for us.

IT people are still in a state of shock that the company didn't notice 143 million files were transferred from their servers over a month or two.  That amount of increased traffic should have raised multiple red flags.  Maybe their IT music major guru did notice and just added server capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1