ATX Community

Ohio Notice of taxes due for on-line cigarette purchases

Janitor Bob

Client received a notice supposedly from State of Ohio Department of Taxation.....detailing all of my client's on-line cigarette purchases....and informing him of his sales/use tax balance due on these purchases. Does anyone know if this is legit or some scam?

It looks legit and client confirms that he did make the on-line purchases and did not pay sales tax at the time of purchase. Client said that a few co-workers also received the letter....They all purchased cigarettes on line from the same vendor/web site. One co-worker had so many on-line cigarette purchases (he bought and re-sold them) that his stated amount due was almost $10,000.

everything appears legit, but client asked me to check and see if anyone else had heard of this.

oooh, bad enough to get caught for the cig and sales taxes, but selling unstamped cigs? Oh, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. He should be happy if they only get him for the sales taxes. I'm sure they got the vendor's records and went after everyone in Ohio.

In CA the taxes on cigs are over $2/pack and then there is the sales tax. Big bucks and easy to trace. It's not just Ohio that's looking for internet tobacco sales.