ATX Community

e-file 1120S

grandmabee

This year, only Forms 1040 and 1041 must be efiled or use the Form 8948 plus Opt-Out to cover yourself.

When I prepare Forms 1120-S, I give the K-1s to the tax matters partner to deliver -- but it's usually a husband/wife company and I usually prepare the personal returns also! Maybe the preparer is supposed to deliver the K-1s to the shareholders; someone will answer that. The IRS does NOT send the K-1s to the shareholders.

That's what has stalled me too. CT has some bizarre method to submit .pdf files on their web site or something I haven't taken the time to learn yet. Since I can't do both federal and CT through my software, I've paper filed all. Have to figure it out for 1041s now.

With the federal penalties per shareholder per month for late filing of forms 1120S, I feel better e-filing and getting that acknowledgement. I've had IRS claim they didn't receive paper filed 1120S's that I know were mailed. I'd rather e-file than mail certified.

Colorado doesn't accept e-filing of corps or partnerships yet, so they have to be mailed, but they also don't incur penalties for late filing, so I don't mind the risk of mailing those.

I agree about the comfort level of getting the acknowledgement. Same with the extensions. I put off efiling extensions until a few years ago, I scratched my head and asked myself why am I sending these in paper. I just efiled all my corp extensions. I'll do 1040s the first week of April. Try to contact clients I think might owe something for a payment to send in but at least the extensions will be filed.