ATX Community

Open Letter to ATX - Please FIX ASAP: ATX 2012 REQUIRES Administrator rights to run.

taxpro78

I have just received ATX 2012 software and found a glaring problem - it requires Admin rights to install and run!!!

After calling technical support I was informed that it is indeed the case and that I should deal with it.

What were the developers thinking? How can anybody use the software in an office environment? Did the company make a decision to abandon all its users except single preparers who have no staff?

I can not change (or rather abandon) all computer security and grant staff admin rights on their PCs because ATX developers can't figure this out (or bothered to consider the possibility). I am afraid that if a solution is not found, I will have to leave ATX for a competitor who doesn't place this requirement.

I would very much appreciate a reply from the company that would:

1. Admit that this is an issue

2. Explain what it plans to do about it or suggest a workaround

post-1616-0-92590800-1356118630_thumb.pn

Are you trying to install the software on the network server, which does require ADMIN rights for almost all software that I know. Is your office setup with non-networked computers for each taxpreparer? My office has preparers who do the work out of their homes and they are not connected to a server except to transfer files using FTP. They each install the software on their own laptop and within Windows XP you can set up yourself with ADMIN rights to be able to run any software.

It requires Admin rights to install or uninstall, as a protection for your business. Once you have it up and running, you can set up users, who can then log in and use the program, they just can not remove the program, or do other administrative actions that you do not want every employee to have access to. This is not, IMHO, a problem. Would you really want a disgruntled employee for example, to be able to delete your entire tax program, in the middle of tax season? You want them to have access, but you do not want them to have unlimited access.

The KnowledgeBase has good instructions on how to set these user rights up, as well as good information on lots of things that a new user can benefit from looking over. ATX has lots of handy shortcuts and built in tools, for example, that many new users do not even realize are there for them. Check out the Customer Referral form, for example. It's a great business building tool that a lot of users do not even know is there. It makes it super easy to encourage your clients to give you referrals, and at the same time let you track that source so that you can then, if you are smart, reward those clients with something extra, at the end of the season, to encourage even more referrals in the next season.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

While I can certainly install it as an Administrator (installing & uninstalling is not the issue), the program does not start unless the user has Admin privileges. It tries to run - shows the logo and after about 10 seconds crashes. But if I "run as administrator" then it loads (but can not print due to this issue: http://superuser.com/questions/83700/how-does-run-as-administrator-affect-printing).

IIRC, TaxWise, which is a cousin of ATX (both owned by CCH Small Firm Services), also requires Administrative privleges to run. I inquired about this several years ago and received the same "so what's the harm in that?" response. I think it was TaxWise that would allow you to start an update with only user rights, then abort the update mid-way through and leave you in an unrecoverable state.

So if there is now a warning and graceful backout procedure, that's a feature!

Ok - it was actually helpful to put my thoughts on virtual paper as I found a solution. Namely - that the program requires users to have full access to:

1) C:Program DataCCH Small Firm Services

2) C:Program Files(86)CCH Small Firm Services

After I granted users access to these two directories, ATX Starts. BUT!

After that, if user opens or creates a return, the program proceeds to crash with the following error log. It exceeds my ability to parse what exactly is the problem:

Application: ATX2012.Loader.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException Stack: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at System.IO.FileInfo.OpenRead() at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.CompressedFormMaster..ctor(FileInfo file) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.StoredFormMasterReader.ReadCalcs(String path) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.FileBasedFormMaster.LoadStaticCalcs() at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppStaticCalcFormResolver.Resolve(FormMasterId id, IEnumerable`1 existingIds, Boolean allowUpdates) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.GetCalcForm(FormMasterId masterId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.AddForm(FormMasterId masterId, Int32 instanceId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.AddForm(FormMasterId masterId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.ActiveAdaptor.FormsetAdapter.AddForm(String name) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.InitDefaultForms(IFormset formset) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.Create(FormsetId id, IFormsetData data) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.Create() at Sfs.Max.Modules.TaxManager.TaxManagerModule.HandleCreateNewReturn(Object obj) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction(Action`1 action, TPayload argument) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Events.CompositePresentationEvent`1.Publish(TPayload payload) at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.<NewReturn>b__61() at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.ProcessOpenReturnRequest(RequestOpenReturnEventArgs args) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction(Action`1 action, TPayload argument) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Events.CompositePresentationEvent`1.Publish(TPayload payload) at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.NewReturn(Object obj) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.Execute(T parameter) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter) at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated) at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.onclick() at System.Windows.Controls.Button.onclick() at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent) at System.Windows.UIElement.onmouseupThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted) at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea() at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input) at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window) at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window) at Sfs.Max.Shell.MainClass.Main() at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, String[] args) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(System.String) at Sfs.Max.Shell.Loader.Program.Main(System.String[])

Ok - it was actually helpful to put my thoughts on virtual paper as I found a solution. Namely - that the program requires users to have full access to:

1) C:Program DataCCH Small Firm Services

2) C:Program Files(86)CCH Small Firm Services

After I granted users access to these two directories, ATX Starts. BUT!

After that, if user opens or creates a return, the program proceeds to crash with the following error log. It exceeds my ability to parse what exactly is the problem:

Application: ATX2012.Loader.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException Stack: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at System.IO.FileInfo.OpenRead() at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.CompressedFormMaster..ctor(FileInfo file) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.StoredFormMasterReader.ReadCalcs(String path) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Masters.Storage.FileBasedFormMaster.LoadStaticCalcs() at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppStaticCalcFormResolver.Resolve(FormMasterId id, IEnumerable`1 existingIds, Boolean allowUpdates) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.GetCalcForm(FormMasterId masterId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.AddForm(FormMasterId masterId, Int32 instanceId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Active.Standard.Formset.AddForm(FormMasterId masterId) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.ActiveAdaptor.FormsetAdapter.AddForm(String name) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.InitDefaultForms(IFormset formset) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.Create(FormsetId id, IFormsetData data) at Sfs.Runtime.Structure.Forms.Client.AppFormsetFactory.Create() at Sfs.Max.Modules.TaxManager.TaxManagerModule.HandleCreateNewReturn(Object obj) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction(Action`1 action, TPayload argument) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Events.CompositePresentationEvent`1.Publish(TPayload payload) at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.<NewReturn>b__61() at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.ProcessOpenReturnRequest(RequestOpenReturnEventArgs args) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction(Action`1 action, TPayload argument) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Events.CompositePresentationEvent`1.Publish(TPayload payload) at Sfs.Max.Modules.ReturnManager.UI.ReturnManagerViewModel.NewReturn(Object obj) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.Execute(T parameter) at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter) at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated) at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.onclick() at System.Windows.Controls.Button.onclick() at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent) at System.Windows.UIElement.onmouseupThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted) at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea() at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input) at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window) at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window) at Sfs.Max.Shell.MainClass.Main() at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, String[] args) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile) at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(System.String) at Sfs.Max.Shell.Loader.Program.Main(System.String[])

Just kind of looking at the error message, is your windows OS updated & Authenic? Make sure because it seems you have several windows issues going on in this error. Doug Hughes

Dear Doug,

My windows is all right. I have no issues with any other program. The issue is clearly ATX - namely the bug that is already discussed here ().

Of course, my original point is still the issue - that 2012 program requires access to a shared directory, as opposed to letting the user have his own (private) database.

Dear Doug,

My windows is all right. I have no issues with any other program. The issue is clearly ATX - namely the bug that is already discussed here ().

Of course, my original pointis still the issue - that 2012 program requires access to a shared directory, as opposed to letting the user have his own (private) database.

ATX in a server environment has always used a shared directory/database. This is not new.

"Well - this is a single PC installation (not server)."

Something to keep in mind is every recent version of Windows is really a network / multi user operating system. Whether or not you use your computer as a stand alone does not matter, software vendors have to consider every installation as potentially networked and/or multi user.