ATX Community

New "Where's My Refund"

kcjenkins

For the first time this tax season, the "Where's My Refund?" tool will provide personalized refund timelines for taxpayers.

After the IRS starts processing returns, it expects to process refunds within the usual timeframes. Last year, the IRS issued more than nine out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days, and it expects the same results in 2013. Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, some tax returns will require additional review and take longer. To help protect against refund fraud, the IRS has put in place stronger security filters this filing season.
After taxpayers file a return, they can track the status of the refund with the “Where’s My Refund?” tool, which is available on the IRS.gov Web site. This year, instead of an estimated date, the Where’s My Refund? tool will give people an actual personalized refund date after the IRS processes the tax return and approves the refund.
"Where's My Refund?" will be available for use after the IRS starts processing tax returns on Jan. 30. The IRS also provided several tips for using "Where's My Refund?" after it becomes available on Jan. 30:
• Initial information will generally be available within 24 hours after the IRS receives the taxpayer’s e-filed return or four weeks after mailing a paper return.
• The system updates every 24 hours, usually overnight. There’s no need to check more than once a day.
• “Where’s My Refund?” provides the most accurate and complete information that the IRS has about the refund, so there is no need to call the IRS unless the web tool says to do so.

For the first time this tax season, the "Where's My Refund?" tool will provide personalized refund timelines for taxpayers.

Am sure wondering how well this is going to work and how many times it will crash with millions of people trying to access it. I have the highest hopes that it works well. Something has to.

I am wondering if I have to remake letterheads, business cards and labels and remove the RTRP from after my name. What a pitiful scenario that has turned out to be, although I doubt that it is over yet.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about, KC. :)

1. http://www.nartrp.com/news/article/58/IRS+Responds+to+District+Court+Decision#.UP8EuWfTqz5?utm_source=TaxProCPE&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NARTRP+-+01-22-2013

" ...Recognizing that the IRS has made significant investment in recent years addressing tax preparer competency, the NARTRP is encouraging its members to “stay the course” during this period of uncertainty..."

2. As jainen already said: http://www.taxprocpe.com/emailmarketer/display.php?M=1714160&C=9d596f15acb22dd924bde2c46bca867e&S=58&L=26&N=46

" ...While candidates may request a refund, we believe the IRS will resolve the matter via congressional action, appeal and stay of the court decision, or both due to the amount of resources already devoted to increasing compliance and regulation of tax preparers. We continue to encourage our members to “stay the course” even if not currently required."

3. And finally: http://www.taxprocpe.com/emailmarketer/display.php?M=1714160&C=9d596f15acb22dd924bde2c46bca867e&S=61&L=26&N=47

or check this: http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/PTIN-System-Down

oh, I see everyone here is regularly checking this link, lol ...

Yesterday I spoke to a client (and a friend) who went to HRB just to check it out as "market research". They are basically telling people that they can do everything right now and if you carefully listen to the fine point or if you ask directly then and only then do they tell you that IRS will not start processing until 30th, but they can e-file. As we all know e-file on a limited basis did start on the 24th. However most transmitters are holding them and sending them to IRS based on their quota, until 30th when the flood gates are suppose to be opened.

My EIC clients are up in arms because I told them I could not file until 30th and they say we called HRB because we say the ad that they are doing it right now. I guess the Christmas bills are due this month!

So while HRB is technically correct, that they can e-file now, reality and practicality tells you otherwise! I guess that's what you can do if you have a slick marketing dept.

My EIC clients are up in arms because I told them I could not file until 30th and they say we called HRB because we say the ad that they are doing it right now. I guess the Christmas bills are due this month!

So while HRB is technically correct, that they can e-file now, reality and practicality tells you otherwise! I guess that's what you can do if you have a slick marketing dept.

Sad fact is that they will not get their refund any faster by going to HRB and paying the higher fees.

Well, I can efile now too, but my software will not transmit to IRS until 30 January. You can certainly prepare returns and maybe efile, too. But, your returns and HRB's and a paper return mailed in by a taxpayer today will not be processed by the IRS before 31 January. Add up to 21 days for their refund, and February is almost over!

Actually, it is now called a line of credit. Up to $1000. But it locks the taxpayer into doing the return with HRB. Slick marketing. And if you don't like the results of the return they prepare when you do get your W2, you have to pay back the $1000 plus pay them the fees associated with the line of credit, and pay a minimum fee for the unfinished tax return.

Tom

Hollister, CA

"Actually, it is now called a line of credit. Up to $1000. But it locks the taxpayer into doing the return with HRB. Slick marketing. And if you don't like the results of the return they prepare when you do get your W2, you have to pay back the $1000 plus pay them the fees associated with the line of credit, and pay a minimum fee for the unfinished tax return."

aaaaha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa

sdratsab

I pray and I really hope that more and more people these days will do it more wisely and will file their TRs with w-2 rather than last payslips ...

Few years back my client's young daughter got taken by them. They were holding her W2 hostage until she paid for the prep work which she thought was free because she had a coupon from work. They will do the Federal free, but if you want your money fast and that requires the state return, then they spring the additional fees on you. This year for some reason I have not seen those $50 Liberty tax coupons???