ATX Community

E-file W-2 forms using ATX

Jack from Ohio

I have used it in the past; very easy, no troubles.

THIS year, I keep getting an error saying I need to download Accu-Wage from the SSA. Well, that USED to be included in the ATX package. Additionally, I DID download and install Accu-Wage. But I still keep getting the error message that I need to download and install it before I can e-file my W-2s.

I have a raft of them, ready to go (now that my clients have given me the OK to e-file) -- and here I am, dead in the water. Last time I tried calling ATX tech support I was told there was a 1-hour and 37-minute hold time for TS. That sounds less like TS and more like BS to me. I am most seriously displeased, and am hoping that someone here can tell me the secret to getting the payroll system to play nicely with accu-wage.

Catherine

Jack-

I use ATX to do my W-2s but you have to be registered with the SSA to actually e-file them. Once you know you can submit files to the SSA, you output a file from ATX and upload them through the SSA website. Its been several years that I have done this and it has worked for me fine. I don't recall the steps to get registered with the SSA and I certainly don't recall the steps to create the file from ATX and upload to SSA but I am always able to figure it out pretty painlessly.

I hope this helps you at least get started. You still have time to get registered with the SSA as the W-2s aren't due to them for a while yet.

Julie

Catherine, just hit ok or whatever choice is in that message block about the Accuwage. I downloaded it from SSA to my desktop but I also keep getting the message. I think it's only a warning reminding you to test the file with Accuwage before uploading to SSA. Create the efile, test it from your Accuwage from your desktop, then submit. I've already submitted a few with no problems.

My files created properly and it took me a few minutes to remember where the program puts them:

C: Program files(x86) Payroll 2012 W2 Efiles

From there, each client will have its own folder. There should be 2 *.asc files, one for federal and one for state (if you created a state set) and a zipped file too.

Be sure you are looking in the "Program files(x86)" and not the plain "Program files" foIder. If you still can't file them, I'd do a search as NECPA suggests.

Found 'em I had told the payroll program to put the files in a folder on one partition -- and it created that folder. Then it went and created another, identically-named folder on _different_ partition, and put the wage files there!!

I have NO idea when, how, or why it created this other folder and decided to use it. It is not the place on my computer I want those files. However, now that I know where they are, I was able to get them submitted.

Thanks to all for the help. The ways of computers are strange and mysterious, and not for mortal man to understand. ;)

• Like 3