ATX Community

New Update this AM 12.7

mcb39

I have not had a chance yet to figure out what it does, but I did download and install it. After the reboot, I went into the program, finished up a return I was working on last night and e-filed it. Nothing weird happened so far.

Isn't it pitiful that this is what it has come to? We are celebrating that nothing weird happened? This would be funny if we weren't all struggling for dear life.

For me, boxes didn't have to be checked so many times to stick, not tried printing yet. Gotta load the program again to do that. Cause, you know they encountered a problem and needed to close. And stuff.

I did find out one thing after I had the program crash after "check return" the other night. Yes, the return does have a 4462...BUT when I went to look at it last night things had changed. Now, I have it set for auto save after five minutes. At the same time, I do a save after entering almost every W2 or any other form. Well, when I opened the return, the client was getting megabucks of EIC and I know that I had checked originally to see if they qualified and they did not. On further inspection, the crash had removed the Unemployment Income from the return to the tune of $11,000 which did then qualify them for EIC.

The moral of the story is: If you have a crash, be sure to check EVERYTHING on the return you were working on when it crashed. Thankfully, for me, this has been my one and only crash so far.

Jack, I am not having issues with selected returns in the e-file manager disappear. Another quirk.

I did find out one thing after I had the program crash after "check return" the other night. Yes, the return does have a 4462...BUT when I went to look at it last night things had changed. Now, I have it set for auto save after five minutes. At the same time, I do a save after entering almost every W2 or any other form. Well, when I opened the return, the client was getting megabucks of EIC and I know that I had checked originally to see if they qualified and they did not. On further inspection, the crash had removed the Unemployment Income from the return to the tune of $11,000 which did then qualify them for EIC.

The moral of the story is: If you have a crash, be sure to check EVERYTHING on the return you were working on when it crashed. Thankfully, for me, this has been my one and only crash so far.

Jack, I am not having issues with selected returns in the e-file manager disappear. Another quirk.

Form 4562 is currently updated and accurate. The program dumping when checking a return with 4562 problem is gone. We just can't e-file returns with 4562 yet.

The files are not disappearing, the checkmarks to select certain e-files goes away. I started a new topic about this. Real time killer for me.

Updated this morning when I came in, (not in office on Friday). I can open the program, but when I try to open a client, I get the error message that the program has stopped working and that Windows is closing the program. I have now been to all of the boards and people that have had this same issue are suggesting that a "reasonable" workaround is to just forget a rolled over client and open them as if they were new. While not a preferable solution, I decided to try it just to see if it worked. So, clicked new 1040 and got the same error message. So, essentially I cannot even get into a return in this piece of $&+! program!

On hold with tech support, where surprise, surprise, the wait time is well over one hour. Any suggestions?

I don't know if this will help, but it was posted this a.m. on the ATX board.

"Sounds like you may have corrupt forms.

Symptom: We are seeing symptoms where forms are appearing to be corrupt on client’s workstations. The form can become corrupt if there are errors or hiccups when downloading the form. A fix is coming soon, but in the meantime, users can manually delete the folder where the forms are located, which will prompt ATX to re-download the form.

Alternative Workaround: Instructions for deleting forms:

Instructions (Windows 7)

1. Close ATX 2012

2. Browse to the following location C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012

3. Select the Assets folder and press Delete

4. Open ATX 2012

5. Update forms

Instructions (Windows XP)

1. Close ATX 2012

2. Browse to the following location C:Documents and SettingsAll usersApplication DataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012

3. Select the Assets folder and press Delete

4. Open ATX 2012

5. Update forms

Note: Make sure the computer is setup to display hidden files and folders.

ATX MarilynB"

Well, the customer care guy had me uninstall the program, reinstall, then download the program updates the the support site. Everything is lost. I had only completed a few returns since I don't really start until February 1st, but had a lot of things input and holding for info or the IRS.....all gone. After the reinstall though, rollovers occur quickly and when I ask a page or form to print, it does immediately. Just opened a rolled over return that had 2 rentals and Sch. A as well as 2 W2s took 11 minutes.

Wow, it stinks that you lost all that. If you had backed up to a desktop folder (I'm thinking about what if I have to do this), or CD, could you have then restored? I may be assuming too much to think this program backs up. Lol. And I have not even tried it because it is taking every ounce of energy just to spit out 1/3 of the returns I should have done.

Well, the customer care guy had me uninstall the program, reinstall, then download the program updates the the support site. Everything is lost. I had only completed a few returns since I don't really start until February 1st, but had a lot of things input and holding for info or the IRS.....all gone. After the reinstall though, rollovers occur quickly and when I ask a page or form to print, it does immediately. Just opened a rolled over return that had 2 rentals and Sch. A as well as 2 W2s took 11 minutes.

You made the mistake of allowing a customer service person help you instead of a technician. There was no reason to lose all your information. Sorry you had this happen.

Rita B, if you insist on reinstalling the program, export all the returns to a separate folder. Then, after re-installing, you can import them all. The export and import functions work fine.

Rita B, if you insist on reinstalling the program, export all the returns to a separate folder. Then, after re-installing, you can import them all. The export and import functions work fine.

Woah dere, I don't even intend to reinstall, much less insist, just thinking how it should be handled to avoid losing completed returns. Wouldn't backup and restore do the trick?

I'm glad your import and export are working fine. But you GOTTA admit that is no indication that everybody's is, right? Crap, I am printing one page at a time if I have to get a return outta there. Hahahaha, I see that smile.

If it makes you feel better, I hated Drake. And I hope to high heavens we ALL get to where we can prepare returns efficiently with this software. You have no idea how much I want ATX2012 to be a star. At the top of my want list.

• Like 1

After I installed 12.7 with the downloaded file from the ATX website, 98% of the printing issues vanished.

I would do both export and backup. Backup is reported to contain more (all) information from the return more than export. I have not seen a difference, and the export import is a much more straightforward method.

Download the 12.7 update file from the ATX site and run it on the machine you use as the server.

It is now Sunday and since i lost all of Saturday crashing and then losing info I brought work home. Have remotely accessed the office computer and opened the 2012 program. It showed that there were 5,441 forms to update....1 hour and 22 minutes later it has updated 3,478 forms.....so much for trying to catch up.

I backed up to folder and I also have Carbonite. None of my previous work was in either the folder or could be restored from Carbonite. At this point I am grateful for the little things, like only having actually processed less than 10 returns prior to losing all my data.