ATX Community

Now two users can not use ATX2012 at once?

taxpro78

I have multiple staff members remotely login the system and work in ATX2012. Recently the following error started appearing when User 2 attempts to launch the program:

post-1616-0-47706800-1361498820_thumb.pn

"Another user is currently running ATX on this workstations. They need to close before you can use it"

I have a multi-user license. Until a week ago this never came up.

Does anybody know how to resolve it?

Thank you

Welcome to the club. For 11 years we have used ATX on a terminal server, though they don't claim to support it, but it always worked until they switched to the crappy Raven database this year. The first initial install of the program up to the 12.7 version works multi-user in terminal server. However I could not install the 12.8 or 12.9 patch on my server without rendering the program useless. On another test server, once 12.8 goes on, it seems to change a registry key that makes the program look for other running instances. Once that happens even after uninstalling and deleting every file installed still I get that same message even at the initial install. So in a nutshell they have shut the door on use multi-users who use terminal services. A stupid careless move that will cost them many customers. To e-file I have to export the 4562 held returns over to a function machine with 12.8 running just to e-file. Even in their ideal installation environment, the program sucks and is unstable. Next year's release should be absolutely at no charge to the many thousands of customers who they have basically destroyed their business this year. If they are not going to allow multi-user environments another company will have our business next year, we will not waste resources on using their software like it's 1995. Total lack of any due care during development. Did you notice the tech's blog at ATX? He mentions it taking 2 hours for QA to approve and release the update? What type of testing is that? I could barely open the program and look at 10 returns in that short length of time.

• Like 1

no, he is talking about two or more users using the application from the same station I believe. The exe loader now can only be in use in memory on one workstation at a time, unlike the initial release of the 2012 program and all prior versions. 6 workstations accessing a central "server" hosting the data is fine, but very slow compared to how is "could" be if they had taken anytime to develop this product.

• Like 1

no, he is talking about two or more users using the application from the same station I believe. The exe loader now can only be in use in memory on one workstation at a time, unlike the initial release of the 2012 program and all prior versions. 6 workstations accessing a central "server" hosting the data is fine, but very slow compared to how is "could" be if they had taken anytime to develop this product.

All 6 people are using ATX2012 preparing returns at the same time from a central server.

but you are talking about loading the loader exe from individual workstations in a client-server environment. I'm talking about running ATX in a true-multiuser environment as in a terminal server/remote desktop server. As in one server, users log into the server via remote desktop connection mstsc.exe and all work directly from the server. This way, you no longer are bound by the processor limitations of your workstations and utilize the true power of your dedicated server. This is why prior versions of ATX i can open the program for the first time, open any return i want in under 25 secs. There is no need to trasnmit data between the workstation and server which decreases performance and increases network traffic. The data will never leave the server and the workstation access no files from the server. It is virtually the same thing as every user sitting at the server working at the same time. The program is not allowing multiple instances of the atx.loader.exe file. That is the problem. You won't get multiple instances of the loader in memory if each individual workstation is running the program.

but you are talking about loading the loader exe from individual workstations in a client-server environment. I'm talking about running ATX in a true-multiuser environment as in a terminal server/remote desktop server. As in one server, users log into the server via remote desktop connection mstsc.exe and all work directly from the server. This way, you no longer are bound by the processor limitations of your workstations and utilize the true power of your dedicated server. This is why prior versions of ATX i can open the program for the first time, open any return i want in under 25 secs. There is no need to trasnmit data between the workstation and server which decreases performance and increases network traffic. The data will never leave the server and the workstation access no files from the server. It is virtually the same thing as every user sitting at the server working at the same time. The program is not allowing multiple instances of the atx.loader.exe file. That is the problem. You won't get multiple instances of the loader in memory if each individual workstation is running the program.

Quote from ATX... "ATX software is not designed nor supported to be used or run on server software." This information was given to me yesterday, 2-21-13 by tech support. You are asking the program to do something is is/was not ever intended to do. Stick with the way it is designed.

I thought the new software would not be this way, bit it is. All installation and work is to be done from a workstation, using the server as a file server only. This too from the tech support technician.

Trying to use remote server/terminal server will never function correctly. The search for next year's tax software has begun...

Would have been nice for them to be a little more upfront about changing something that many have used in the past. How exactly did you get in touch with technical support anyway? I have been on hold for over 2 hours to never hear anything. Not to mention email support tickets over 3 weeks now with no response. They had something that worked very well and changed it for something that obviously was not as good. Support it as you wish but you cannot justify the performance decrease and excessive hardware requirements to do what in the end is a completed tax return. You can do the same thing in a fraction of the time and hardware required in any prior version. If the program was designed properly, then terminal services would not even be an issue. That is only an excuse for poorly written software.

On hold from 8:10 AM to 12:10 PM. Talked to the technician for an hour. I have a good understanding now of how to install and operate in a network environment. It is essentially the same as the previous 4 years of ATX. I was hoping for better.

I will, between the rush of season here, post on the "take notes" thread, the proper procedure, in a server based network system, to uninstall and reinstall the program and updates. None of the information I gleaned was ever listed or printed in any knowlegebase or tech bulletin.

I fear that we are being forced to change for 2013 because I doubt the ability of ATX to survive this sunami.

I am spending several hours this Sunday evening to completely rework our system. We are at 898 clients now, and restoring will take at least 1 1/2 hours by itself.

Suffice it to say, when I followed these protocols in the previous 4 years, we had almost zero issues with our network. The fact that ATX2012 is only slightly workable with WINXP caught me offguard. Getting quotes on 4 new workstations with SSD, 8GB RAM and WIN7 PRO 64bit.

Thank you - that's exactly what I was talking about. I have a Windows Terminal Server that my staff login to.

I simply can not believe that they just decided to insert this limitation in an update. Multi-user support was supported in January, why suddenly remove it? I don't know if they are incompetent or outright evil. Or just both.

If I have a multi-user license, what do they care if I run it from same PC or multiple ones? They just want me to waste money & resources setting up 10 computers instead of 1 server?

This is awesome! lol I install the program as it was "designed" to be in a server data hosting and workstation laboring environment and it sucks even more. Our equipment my A$$. Plus what idiot thought it was a good idea to make us have to "attach pdf" to an efile? It takes over a minute just to open the freaking print menu and then a few more minutes to create the e-file. Simply unacceptable and for those "a re-write was necessary" crowds, are you serious? Happy with what you have? A program that eats 1.2 GB of system memory to open up a freaking return? IT IS A TAX RETURN!!!!!! Not tracking meteors here.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, monik said:

You can host your ATX software on the cloud servers of a reliable hosting provider, that will give you the ability of simultaneous multi-user access. I'd recommend Ace Cloud Hosting.

I'd say this issue has long since been resolved and at least one member hasn't been active in over three years, as is this topic that is 3.5 years old that you resurrected to promote your hosting business.

• Like 1

Well, I got a good chuckle out of "It's a tax return!  Not tracking meteors here."  Reminds me of that time I called ATX in January 2013 and said, "Look.  I want my software to work.  Taxes are not sexy.  I don't care about the bells and whistles and pink furry handcuffs and blindfolds.  Please just give me software that works." 

Then I got a hum dinger computer, and it worked.  Go me.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Well, I got a good chuckle out of "It's a tax return!  Not tracking meteors here."  Reminds me of that time I called ATX in January 2013 and said, "Look.  I want my software to work.  Taxes are not sexy.  I don't care about the bells and whistles and pink furry handcuffs and blindfolds.  Please just give me software that works." 

Then I got a hum dinger computer, and it worked.  Go me.

Is pink your preferred color, or does it matter when you are blindfolded?

• Like 7