ATX Community

program closing

sueaustin

I have a rejected return that I cant open. the program closes done every time I try to open this return. I sure would appreciate a solution for this. this return has alot of time put into it and I would hate to have to call the client and ask them to come back and start over. I am so unhappy that there are still issures with this software so late in the season. thank you for any help. Sue

Do you have the software on a network? When this has happened to me, I have been able to open the return from a different machine/log on, save it and close it. Then I have to close the software on both that machine and my machine. I have then been successful at opening the return on my machine. I know it sounds crazy, but it's worked so far for me.

I had that happen, too. Reboot didn't help (program or entire machine). I re-created the return in Drake and did it from there. It's happened to several returns and Drake has now paid for itself on getting those DONE.

All I can suggest is renaming the return (if you can), re-rolling over the 2011, and starting again. Or start again in a different software program. Or delete the munged return (if you can) and then roll over the 2011.

I have also noticed that this tends to happen about three minutes before the return is ready to print to pdf. Although it happened to one of my returns during printing. The print manager seized up, the program crashed -- and when I re-opened the program I could no longer open that return. Talk about frustrating!!

I had that happen, too. Reboot didn't help (program or entire machine). I re-created the return in Drake and did it from there. It's happened to several returns and Drake has now paid for itself on getting those DONE.

All I can suggest is renaming the return (if you can), re-rolling over the 2011, and starting again. Or start again in a different software program. Or delete the munged return (if you can) and then roll over the 2011.

I have also noticed that this tends to happen about three minutes before the return is ready to print to pdf. Although it happened to one of my returns during printing. The print manager seized up, the program crashed -- and when I re-opened the program I could no longer open that return. Talk about frustrating!!

This has happened to me twice now. I am exporting every couple of minutes to my jump drive. I found out that I cannot import the return without completely deleting the return in the Return Manager. I dumped two big ones in two days during printing. I cannot find the backup returns in ATX. I have been staying pretty calm until now. Also, I did not install the 12.11. Remember, you cannot import the saved return until you delete the one that crashed. Hellelujia.

I've used the restore function when the program froze during printing. One tip, when the program freezes and you close it through he task manager, ATX will ask you if you want to save the return you're trying to close. DON'T SAVE IT! The only times I've had issues is when I've saved. Saving during a freeze up appears to corrupt the file.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. I am somewhat relieved that this isnt only happening to me. I called the client and had them come in and we did it all over again as a new return. they were very gracious about it. i almost want to just quit now and call this year done. this has been the most stressfull year of all the 16 years iI have done taxes. thank God for this forum.

• Like 1

I've used the restore function when the program froze during printing. One tip, when the program freezes and you close it through he task manager, ATX will ask you if you want to save the return you're trying to close. DON'T SAVE IT! The only times I've had issues is when I've saved. Saving during a freeze up appears to corrupt the file.

This has been my experience as well.