ATX Community

Intuit email

Maribeth

Just got an email from Intuit and a phone call from a salesman. Mr. Intuit does not want me to renew my tax software until I give him a chance to show me how wonderful his tax sofware packages are. Going to send me a free gift, a copy of Lacerte or the other one which I can use for this year.

Okay, that's fine. I may or may not take them up on their offer. (well, probably won't, on general principles, won't give Intuit any more of my money than I absolutely have to).

But my question is: How does Mr. Intuit know that I have ATX?? That is my question.

Agreed. Kind of creepy. And what's even creepier -- if they wanted my business, how come they haven't called me before?? I have gotten free demos in the mail and the occasional email. But now a phone call, from someone telling me he is my account exec for Lacerte and/or ProSeries? A Phone call????? Stay out of my business Intuit. I will buy your product if and when I decide to buy your product and it will certainly not be right now.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

I got a call as well and this is the year when we have to make a choice to find a permanent home so use this opportunity to get all your questions answered. I am asking all salespeople who call me to send a working software (not a demo with locked out features). I intend to run a battery of returns this summer and chose one software that hopefully i can keep for a very long time.

if you signed up for ACcounting Today or something like that, they may ask what software you use..and whamo

now they got you.

this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these softare companies

48,000 disgruntled users

the last minute tax laws coupled with the new e-filing requirements

and the weak mgmt of atx.....i don't know what the hell they did.

seems rudimentary to every programmer out there to use oracle or sql

database..and not this raven............how long have they known something is wrong

i think they should have looked for a ceo with a tax and software background

these companies are going to be offering goodies that atx is going to have a hard time to compete with

only problem....it's an oligopoly...there aren't too many software providers

and a company like profx and lacerte are probably out of the picture bc of their price

so that leaves drake and proseries predominantly

Guest Taxed

Folks at the risk of repeating myself, 2013 is the year where we tax preparers MUST use this opportunity wisely to pick a software for our business. I say get all the working copies you can get from the various vendors that fits your budget and then RUN a sample of your actual cases to see how it fits your work environment. What works in your situation may not work for the next guy. Too often I have read people regretting their choice because they did not know that such and such form is not available or it does not do this?

This year I was FORCED to switch just to stay in business, never again will I allow a software to drive me crazy!

This is 2013. If a company wants to know what type of software you are currently using, believe me, they are going to find out. With the use of the internet and other sources, it is becoming extremely easier for marketing departments to provide their sales people the right leads to target. However, I would caution anyone before jumping ship. Test the waters. See what's out there....and then negotiate the best deal you can. ATX screwed up. We know that. ATX's competitors are like sharks...they small blood in the water...just make sure they don't bleed you dry with low prices today and "jack up" renewal prices tomorrow.

This is 2013. If a company wants to know what type of software you are currently using, believe me, they are going to find out. With the use of the internet and other sources, it is becoming extremely easier for marketing departments to provide their sales people the right leads to target. However, I would caution anyone before jumping ship. Test the waters. See what's out there....and then negotiate the best deal you can. ATX screwed up. We know that. ATX's competitors are like sharks...they small blood in the water...just make sure they don't bleed you dry with low prices today and "jack up" renewal prices tomorrow.

I did that with Tax Works, what a joke. It was the 2011 software which is nothing at all like the 2012. So what the heck good did they think that demo would do me.

Guest Taxed

In 2013 DO NOT demo with 2011 software. Demand the 2012 working version this summer to test. If they will not provide the 2012 version, kiss them good bye and move on to the next.

Taxworks has yet to respond to my request for the 2012 version after April 15th. Intuit is already sending out the live 2012 version now.

Right you are.. You should get only a live program, if the company even hesitates at this point, you should assume they are not going to be that great to work with next year. They have sold all the 2012 programs they are going to sell, there is no cost to them at this point to let potential new customers try out their product. They should be falling over themselves to accommodate you at this point. They should be begging you, not the other way around.

Folks at the risk of repeating myself, 2013 is the year where we tax preparers MUST use this opportunity wisely to pick a software for our business. I say get all the working copies you can get from the various vendors that fits your budget and then RUN a sample of your actual cases to see how it fits your work environment. What works in your situation may not work for the next guy. Too often I have read people regretting their choice because they did not know that such and such form is not available or it does not do this?

This year I was FORCED to switch just to stay in business, never again will I allow a software to drive me crazy!

I don't believe it stops there. Even after selecting the vendor for 2013, good business practice demands that you have a backup vendor. I switched to Drake back in late Jan, but it wasn't a blind leap of faith. I had evaluated them in the past and they have been my backup plan for several seasons. I expect to stay with them next year, but I'll still be evaluating other vendors. Just because they're now my primary, I'll still have a backup vendor in the wings. (Maybe even ATX if they get their act together)

If iI were running a practice with more than 300 or so clients, not only would I have a backup vendor chosen , I'd also be preparing selected clients on their software on a per-return basis. As Warren Buffet said in a slightly different context - "You never know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out."

Guest Taxed

Warren Buffet is a very smart man and he is right. You have a very good point about a backup software ready to go should the primary software fail. Due to the high cost of tax prep software it is not always easy to pay for 2 top of the line software unless you are a large practice. This year I had Intuit pay per return as a backup as well as TaxAct (for my home state 1040 returns).

I think Drake got the lions share of tax preparers who jumped ship this year. I wonder if they will have a decent offer for the rest??