ATX Community

12.15 update & crash

Lee B

According to the first poster on the ATX board, who installed the 12.15 update this morning, "Crash"

This poster finally is able to open returns on his workstations, but cannot open any returns on his server.

Several posters with standalones are reporting to be OK, with no improvements noted.

• Like 1

I'm standalone, XP Pro, ... updated to 12.15 last nite. Seems faster.... i opened one large return.. opened faster than I remembered from last time. But, there is a new "dialogue" box when you exit the program that show return backup process...

It said it was backing up items that had changed since last back up. But it was backing up almost 400 of my clients and it took it almost an hour to do it. After that I went back into ATX and closed again. This time no delay while backing up...

Maybe this was just a one time thing; a new type of backup???

I wish ATX had warned me to expect this the first time after updating... but seems ok now.

Taxtrio

I updated last night and only the two returns I had worked on that day backed up,upon closing. Do you have your backups going somewhere other than the default location?

Same here, only the returns that I open and actually change something on backup on closing. It is a little annoying, but there may be a way to turn it off as I always export.

On the ATX board, some posters are reporting backup issues since updating to 12.15.

1. One poster reported that upon closing the program, it backed up every return, which took over a hour before it closed.

2. Another poster upon closing the program left it running overnight, it was still hung up in backup, when he came in this morning.

You may want to turn off auto backup to avoid this potential problem.

That's why I asked if the people having problems are ones backing up to a location that isn't the default. So if the update isn't seeing the backups where it thinks they 'should' be, it backs up everything. Someone on the other board said they only had this issue once upon the initial closing of the program. Which is why I am wondering if the update is not seeing the backups, which would be a mapping problem.

I have had nothing but problems all season and in fact the program crashed at least 6x Apr 15th and had to file extensions for all those picking up that day - I was not happy at all!

but I downloaded 12.15 last night and it sure seems to be fine today - no complaints from anyone. both 11 and 12 opened and earlier yesterday I could not get them to open - thus I figured I might as well try 12.15...

So maybe it was finally the right combo?

We will see

and be careful with the praises for 11 - when the rep called me in May - I was not renewing as 11 was soooo slow - we could not stand it! I only renewed as he said 12 would be so much better - eat those words!!

My experience:

If you do a backup to a totally new folder (doesn't matter where, as long as it is not in the same folder the program, is installed in), the backup will not be corrupted. All return information and e-file information will be saved. The downside is, that it will only backup the current version of the returns, where the original backup keeps up to the latest 5 backed up versions of each return.

Exporting still protects all the return information, but the e-file info for each return is hit and miss.

I have checked these processes out and know that this information is solid.

There is no way to change the default setting for the backup folder, so backing up to the new location must be done manually. With about 3,100 returns now, the backup takes 11 1/2 hours. Exporting takes a little over 16 hours.