ATX Community

Looking for bookkeeping/accounting software to replace Quiockbooks

TAG

Guest Taxed

That is a question that pops up routinely from budget minded small business owners. There are a few shareware type accounting packages that may cost less but the support absolutely sucks! Unless you want to be hand holding your client all they way stay with Quickbooks. If they use a full bookkeeper or part-time, it is easier to find people with quickbook experience and most towns and cities have user groups that can help you out.

I use to recommend Peachtree to my clients 10/15 years back, but quickbooks overall is more cost effective.

Guest Taxed

For a small business owner with limited resources the issue of support for a new accounting software could be critical. If the taxpayer is a quick learner then it may not be a big deal.

I have had clients who switched accounting packages to lesser known brands with limited support go back to using those ledger sheets when they could not find someone qualified with their software and when they tried it themselves they totally screwed up the reports.

I use Medlin payroll and Medlin himself will answer questions about the software. He's even on here occasionally. The payroll module is $55/yr.

I have also used Medlin for years. It is certainly more extensive than just "simple" payroll. I guess it is time to take a look at the bookkeeping module. Medlin lets you test drive their software.; which is huge.

Guest Taxed

Simple here means relatively easy to use!

But it does have its limitations and you can't really expect more for $55. It does the job where it fits.

I have a few clients that use it and they are happy.

Mr. Medlin does your payroll software e-file W2 and 1099s including corrected copies?

You should be very nice to Medlin. He has been a gracious contributor on this board for a very long time and his input on Payroll issues is invaluable to those of us who have been here a long time. His software is known to be very good for the target market he serves. I understand his support is top notch as well. He makes no bones about the market he is after, does not try to please every single potential customer that his software is not a fit for, and, most importantly, does not lie about what his software will or will not do.

Be careful how you talk about him and his product.

Tom

Hollister, CA